My project isn't carving as set up in easel

Looks fun!

That it was. Going to try a few more things tomorrow after I get done my work.

1 Like

Neil, on my project, could I run that fast? 120/min with the 1/8" and 60° vbit? Plunge rate and Depth Per Pass settings also are a mystery. I wish there was a chart that you could reference where you could have materials listed with different bits and cut settings. I know there is software out there but it seems overly complicated. An excel spreadsheet seems doable but obviously I don’t know what I am talking about, lol!

It seems like I saw something on the interwebs, possibly even here on the forum, a list of spindle speeds (actual rotary dial on the router, 1-6) and bits and what setting to choose. That’s how I ended up on 3. Do you agree with Russ that I should use setting 1? Is slower RPM best?

I would always start out using the 1/8" bit at 60ipm and adjust from there. I would cut at a depth of .1 when using PVC, plywood, hard woods and I never broke a bit. I was being a little conservative when I said 40ipm at .05 doc. But in Easel you can always double your speed while the machine is running. Now the V bit is much stronger and you can set the depth deeper than straight bits. You will learn what your machine can do, sometimes it better to run fast and take shallow cuts than to run slow and take deep cuts. Practice, practice, practice and keep the big red button close.
Russell

Alright gentlemen, I have made great progress!!!

Take a look

This is SO much better than what I have been getting. I feel relieved, lol.

There are still some spots that look like they need cleaning up, is that normal?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Maybe is can be a little better but you will get those fuzzes, use a stiff brush and some sand paper to clean them up.
The flat part looks good, I dont see any lines from the bit. How sharp is your V bit?
Russell

I used a new one, I have 2 60° v-bits. I also have some 30° v-bits and a 90° v-bit but went with the 60°.

1 Like

Also, can you recommend a brush? Should it be a wire brush?

EDIT

I ordered some nylon brush wheels from Amazon. 320, 400 and 600 grit. Hopefully that’ll do the job.

I use a few different ones, just whatever I can grab. But the green plastic bristle brush is the one I use the most. I’ve seen people use the little wire brushes on a Dremel and that works good

Edit: I need some new ones :flushed::joy:

1 Like

Assuming rigidity is good this sound very viable. Earlier this year when I carved 3/4" MDF using a 1/4" 1F tool I ran through it with two passes at about 100ipm @ 10k RPM :slight_smile: Chips started to form :slight_smile: