My x-axis still don´t move

Earlier today I got tips from Larry here on the forum to switch the y and x cables
and the x-axis worked then but not the y axis

OK.

Change the step interval from .1 to 10inches in easel and click the arrow. Then gradually adjust the potentiometer and see if you can get motion to start.

If not contact Inventables and have them replace the gshield. Send them the link to this thread so they can read through the troubleshooting steps.

When I had switched the cable earlier I did change the step interval from .1 to 10 mm in easel
And I adjusted the potentiometer from the lowest to highest,
nothing helped. :frowning:
do you want me to change as you suggested earlier x vs z ?

p.s.
sorry about my bad english writing and translating

10mm might not be a long enough span. You might try 100mm

I think the stepper driver might be faulty. You should contact Customer Success.

how do I contct them ?

https://inventables.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new

How should I explain for them so they can understand my poor english

please give me a hint :slight_smile:

If there is a short, the stepper motor will often be difficult to move by hand when not powered. When you tried moving the X axis by hand, did it move as smoothly and easily as the Y? Did the light on the Gshield come on when you moved it?

If that all seems fine, another thing you can try is to test the windings on your stepper. This video will give you a good start on it.

If you don’t have an LED, you can still do the test. Just short the two wires (have them touching). When two wires from the same winding are touching, it will be hard to turn the shaft.

Your English is fine. :slight_smile:

Yea your English is fine.

Earlier today I got tips from Larry here on the forum to switch the y and x cables
and the x-axis worked then but not the y axis

Not to jump into someone doing a great job helping you out but this seems to have been glossed over.

Your issue is with the X-axis.
When swapping the x and y axis on the G-shield. The issue followed the swap, ie, the y axis is now having issues and your x axis is fully functional.

This rules out all of the following:

1. Some sort of mechanical binding or blockage
  2. The belt slipping (set screw on pulley loose or belts not tight)
  3. Vwheels too tight or too loose
  4. The motor is bad (highly unlikely but possible)
  5. The wiring is not correct or shorting

Leaving two possibilities:

1. Not enough current (adjust the potentiometer)
  2. The stepper driver on the gshield is bad and Inventables will replace it.

My G-shield had an open solder joint on one of the drivers so it is possible you have a bad shield. You can either further trouble shoot the g-shield or contact Inventables for a replacement.

1 Like

@KristianAng
@Zach_Kaplan
@ScottWhite

He swapped the wires between the X and Y driver and the problem stayed with the X axis which would indicate that the gShield is working for all axes. His problem is somewhere in the X axis.

This test always confuses people because they are not very consistent with their axis/driver references.

1 Like

Please Larry
Explain

Ok, when you changed the wires at the gShield that put the Y axis on the X driver chip and the X axis on the Y driver chip.

Since you said that your Z axis and Y axis were working properly before the change then we know that the Z driver chip and the Y driver chip are working correctly.

After the wire swap, when you pressed the Y arrow in Easel, Easel sent the command to the Y driver chip which is now running the X axis and the machine failed to move properly.

After the wire swap when you pressed the X arrow in Easel, Easel sent the command to the X driver chip which is now hooked to the Y axis and you said that the Y axis moved fine.

So, now we know that all three driver chips are capable of driving the motors and since the problem stayed with your X axis then the problem is not with the gShield (which is where the driver chips are), but some where that is specific to the X axis.

Did you try the motor test suggested by @BradT on the X axis stepper motor?

Wouldn’t the fault have migrated when switching X and Y if it was in the Arduino?

Yep, good catch. This is a nasty problem I was typing without thinking. (similar to texting while walking)

@KristianAng is there any way you can post a quick video of what it is doing when you try to move the X axis? Sometimes seeing and hearing can really help narrow it down.

Good morning Brad
I´ll give it a try after breakfast

This is the small projekt I´ll try to cut

How do I get the movie small to upload ?

Best option with movies is to upload to Youtube and post a link here.