My X-Carve is up and running! (mostly)

Sorry, couldn’t tell you. The only things I’ve ever used the plywood for is scrollsawn puzzles. I’d think a spiral bit at highest speed/feed you can push would do better, but that’s a guess. If that black stuff in the pic is burning, then the bit is sitting in one spot way too long.

1 Like

I will definitely try that. I have only used a flute bit. The coloring is the under layer of the plywood, not from burning. I was hoping to get an Intentional color shift in the plywood by going down to the next layer :smile:

A couple things that should help. Yes slow the feed rate down but keep the spindle speed high, and if possible make your first pass very shallow which will have a scoring effect on the fibers. They say a straight fluted bit tears less and I would agree but not always. I have also had luck putting a coat of finish like lacquer before carving. The quality of the plywood plays a big part too as some of the imported stuff has a super thin top layer that is more stringy glue than wood and very soft. Hardwood faced Plywoods work well for me too like birch or oak. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks to @Zach_Kaplan for his devotion to this issue through Easel Help.
Turns out I had significant tightening to do on my belts. He made some suggestions, along with spindle speed and depth recommendations. Afterwards, we performed an axis test and things are running as should be today. I’m still learning and despite all my questions and concerns he hung in there. Truly an amazing person.

1 Like

Hey @pike_lake we all have a beginners mindset here. Thanks for hanging in there.

Now the world is your canvas to start making things!

1 Like

no intending to thread jack but,

In a distant sort of way, I consider Zach to be a friend.

in one of my first posts to this forum, The response came from the CEO of the company. That does not happen often in today’s business climate. Hat’s off to you sir.

I have seen many responses to posts by this guy and always with a measure of humility. There must be many off the wall types of folks out there that he has to deal with, and it cant be easy.

I have recently noticed more of a focus on “making” and “makers” recently, on the radio, on the web and in television advertising and it seems that we may be on the forefront of the revolution in our little corner of it, and I think we have a heckuva guy in the lead. The rest of the team desrves just as many kudos as thier leader as well, Because a leader is only as good as those he leads.
( you can exhale now, Zach. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

4 Likes

James, what nuts came loose on your X Carve?
I had all of my eccentric nuts come loose on the Z carriage and the X carriage, luckily though I was keeping a close eye on the entire machine at this point & was lucky enough to stop the machine & find the lost nuts.
After re installing the said nuts and adjusting the V Wheel (as per the X Carve instructions and recommended procedure) I visited the hardware store and got some nylon nuts & used those to “lock” the eccentric nut’s on my X Carve. Works a treat & haven’t had any more trouble. :slight_smile: I probably should lock all of the eccentric nuts while I’m at it now.
Good Luck & happy carving
Matt.