Need help building a macro UGS for bit probe

This is my first post so please be gentle. LOL!

I need some help from all you folks that are much smarter than I am. I have my bit probe set up to run the following G-code (G53 X-22.77 Y-429.2 Z-120 F2000; G20 G38.2 Z-0.7 F2; G92 Z.062; G0 Z 0.7; ) in Universal G-code Sender. It works, the problem is it zeros the “Z” axis at the point where the switch is triggered. Meaning Z will always be the same level as the top of the switch. I need it to take an initial measurement on the first tool after I set the Z height. Then set the Z offset to each tool I change into the spindle afterwards. I was thinking G92 is not the correct command to use but honestly I don’t know.

Am I barking up the right tree here???

I’m thinking I need this(G53 X-22.77 Y-429.2 Z-120 F2000; G20 G38.2 Z-0.7 F2; G10 L20 P1 Z-3.4; G0 Z 0.7; ) by removing the G92 function and adding G10 L20 P1 Z-3.4, as far as I can tell, this should calculate the difference between my current Z0 and the height of the bit probe. Is there a way to test this without crashing my machine? I hate when I do that.:rofl:

Any help would be appreciated.

This is my x carve macro that I use in UGS and is based on one I found here in the forum or online IIRC. It is in inches . My inventables probe thickness is .589". A semicolon is needed in between each code.

G20;G91;G38.2 Z -.500 F1;G92 Z .589; G0 Z .125

the distance it travels at 1mm/second until it hits the probe is -.500". The height it raises after resetting zero is .125".

I guess I wasn’t completely clear, it isn’t surprising.I struggle with the English language. Problem is it is the only language I speak. LOL!

This is for a fixed switch to set the “Z” change after a bit change. This would be inaddition to the XY and Z probe.

I am trying to figure out how to get it to compare and set the Z height between bit changes.

I have an unusual procedure because my arduino is not reflashed. I home my machine before I do anything. Then I close out UGS and re open it. This sets machine zero and work zero to the same location. Then I put my bit in and zero it to the top of my material. If I change bits, I just re zero it to the top of the material again. I don’t think this answers your question though. LOL. I guess if you don’t have the home switches, just one for Z, then I think you can probably change a $ setting for that $22 maybe…but I’m not sure if it will work on just one switch.

Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki · GitHub

I have homing switches for all three axis. This is in addition to that. The whole idea for this switch is to make it so you don’t have to manually set the Z each time you change a bit on the same project.

Drop UGS.

Use CNCjs and my macros here. I’ve been doing this for a while, and these macros are being used by many.

That device you see is an imitation of Carbide 3D’s BitSetter.

UGS can’t do what you really want because there is no mechanism for storing location or tool length from one.

Here was the original thread about it over on Carbide 3D’s forum (I have a Shapeoko 3).

This led to Luke at Beaver CNC making a video about it. Luke ended up getting hired at C3D which led to the BitSetter.

I’ve got lots of other useful probing macros there too.

Thanks Neil!

I read through that whole thread. That is what led me to this forum to ask. I really appreciate you explaining it.

I was thinking of making the jump but I have all the macros set up on a Stream Deck ( although I can’t get the feed and spindle overrides working). Guess it’s time to make the jump.

1 Like

When you do, feel free to ask any questions. Maybe on the other forum.

Done