Need help tried getting picsender to work for jtech and lost easel

Larry,
I just reread what you wrote, and I stand corrected. I did not understand you meant the GRBL screen and sending all settings at one time. I was referring to errors detected during gcode file sending.

My apologies.

1 Like

Not a problem. Just trying to help out.

2 Likes

There are only two laser control grbl firmware versions that uses the $32 setting. You must not be using either of them.

2 Likes

Can you tell me which grbl firmware I should be using and where to find it?

Look at my first post in this thread.

1 Like

thanks! that was it. Appreciate the help. I learned a lot the past few days, no idea what was involved in setting up this laser. I would never have figured this out without the help of this forum!

3 Likes

$120 and $121 at 8000 and even 6000 were causing crazy skipping and alignment issues. I dropped them down to 2000 and seems to work great did a little test file with various IPM speed settings on some cardboard looking like 30 IPM is best going to experiment with this file on various woods.

Here are the IPM GRBL in case anybody else wants it for testing as well as my spindle txt file in case it helps Frank out

Laser IPM.gcode (64.3 KB)
Laser.txt (1.1 KB)

Just curious do I use the same post processor im using for laser for spindle on pic sender?

No.

There should be an Xcarve specific Post Processor for spindle work.

BTW - The post processor just helps Vcarve tailor the G-code to your specific machine.

PicSender just sends the G-code file. It does not use a post processor.

1 Like

I ran the same file on some pine and got similar results of 20 too much burn 30 just about right and 40 not solid enough. I had to move my laser up higher because of the suckit mount so probably a good 5 inches away from the work surface when burning

I think it’s typical to run the laser at about 3 inches above the material. Did you focus your laser?

1 Like

Yes its focused best i could but was also focused at about 3 inches. Then realized the suck it mount hit unless I moved the laser mount up so now it sits a little higher still looks be focused though

I was planning on making a new mount for it just wanted to get it all up and running first

You might want to check out the “laser suckit”, it allows you to keep the shoe on when engraving. Pretty handy IMHO

Hey Ryan, thanks. I’m all good now. Just need some time to dial in the laser. I’ll give your ipm.gcode file a look when I get a chance.
Glad you got yours sorted. didn’t see your spindle.txt file just laser.txt and IPM.gcode

I havent tried using picsender for spindle yet but here it isSpindle.txt (1.1 KB)

Tried using pic sender for spindle because my internet connection seems to be unreliable today and using xcarve inch it gives me errors won’t run then tried easel pp and it never lifted the bit just dragged across the piece then hammered it into the wood till i killed power what pp file is needed to make pic sender worn correct from vcarve to xcarve?

I have been learning a lot the last week with the help of others I thought I had a pretty good grasp on this machine till i ventured away from Easel and realized I was in over my head. I make sure to click spindle every time before closing picsender then usually click exit program hopefully that is correct? should I close machine first then exit? not really an issue I am having currently but good to know. I seem to get control back with either program by homing the machine first. I have been playing with the machine on my own in the 2 years I have had it trying not to be the obnoxious question asker and I realize it is a lot of trial and error but I prefer to ask questions when the machine tries to self destruct rather than try it again so I dont break something. Easel was somewhat of a security blanket and it seems much easier to destroy both the projects and the machine now that I have started using V-carve, jtech, and picsender. Not trying to be a pain in the ■■■ just trying to gain some knowledge from the experts on here and for the most part thanks to their help I am up and running was sending v-carve files through easel but when wifi was acting up I tried pic sender and it didn’t turn out so well with the same file. If both those files should work then I need to figure out why they arent I assumed I was using the wrong pp file at least I can rule that out

GRBL issues a lock if homing is enabled whenever you close the COM port (switch programs). It’s default behavior of GRBL for the machine to require a homing cycle when switching programs.