Need Help with an Odd Material

I got a request to cut out some basic shaped for my grandfather on Markerboard.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Marker-Board-Common-3-16-in-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-Actual-0-180-in-x-23-75-in-x-47-75-in-7012090/203377708

Not sure if anyone hast cut anything like this before, I am concerned with the top chipping. Any suggestions would be great.

I’ve never cut that stuff, but I definitely would start with a downcut spiral bit. It will push the laminate down onto the substrate while cutting, hopefully reducing/eliminating chipout. Good luck and keep us posted.

1 Like

I was thinking about cutting it upside down so the laminate section is pressed up against the spoil board to try and keep it from chipping, but I’m not 100% if that would make a huge difference.

try sticking masking tape all over the surface. It helps.

1 Like

I cut 3 of those already with a regular router.
its basically MDF with a coating for dry erase markers.
You can cut it like you do regular MDF and the coating doesn’t chip/crack either.
I made a bunch of these for my horse trainer. She had these cheapo ones that degraded.
So I made 12 cutouts from one sheet. They are used to put the horses needs on them as well as the horses name. Dimensions are just less than a sheet of 8x11 paper with rounded corners.

1 Like

Yeah I just screwed the top down and used the downcut bit with standard settings, no fuss, no chipping. Thanks for the advice everyone.

1 Like