Need help with custom bit rates, Please!

Total newb here!! I’m trying to do a two step project on 15/32" pine plywood. I’m pretty sure I want to use the (yellow collar) 1/8" 2-flute fishtale down cut spiral bit and a detail (light green collar) 1/16" 2-flute fishtale downcut bit. But since easel only has a select number/type of bits that are pre-registered cut settings, the two bits that I think I need to use aren’t listed and from what I’ve read I don’t know if I can fully trust the recommended rates, can someone tell me where can I go to find the roughing and detail feed rate, plunge rate and depth per pass? I’ve been googling all morning and can’t find anything specific. I only have one of each bit, so if I can make my projects without breaking the bits, that would be awesome… any ideas or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!!

The Easel rates are pretty conservative assuming you’re running an X-Carve. All that really matters to Easel is that you have an 1/8" and a 1/16" bit. It won’t take flutes or upcut vs downcut into account. I’d start with the Easel recommended values (for bits of the same diameter) and as you gain experience, go from there.

Thank you very much!!

Each machine has it’s own character and most people tend to start out with what Inventables states as the standard rate for a specified bit size. After getting to know their machine and its capabilities, most people will up the feed rates incrementally as long as the machine is performing as expected and the piece is being carved correctly. Starting with the standard rates should not result in broken bits unless something goes wrong.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Ok, thanks! I was a little worried with the little red exclamation warning about inventables not testing the rates and such. Getting confirmation makes me feel a little better. Crossing fingers something doesn’t go wrong!! :slight_smile:

They need to cover their back - as mentioned one set of parameters may not suit all machines.
The most important starting points are:

• Keep RPM low (Dewalt on #1)
  • Start carving and get experience and learn your machine
1 Like

As well as keeping the DeWalt on number 1, at times I’ll lower the speed at the top on the - and + section.
Almost out of habit I’ll lower the minus to about 50% straight after I’ve pressed Carve.
I use a lot of different bits with differing cuts and thicknesses and it gives me a little piece of mind that I’ve got it set up correctly and the material is reacting as predicted. From then on I’ll up the + as I see fit.