New app: tabbed box generator

I ended up carving the sharp corners off of mine, didn’t worry about perfection since it was going to be painted.

The only other suggestions I have are to account for bit diameter (not always exactly as advertised) and runout, and don’t try to push the machine hard enough that it loses steps. Other than that, I can only say to tweak the settings until you come up with something you’re happy with.

You could add dog bones with the dog bone generator to the tabbed box after it has had tabs added.

This app works really well but I was curious if it was possible to get an update. I would love to be able to input the data rather than slider bars mostly because I would like the option to make a box slightly larger than 10" more specifically 12.5". If we could get an update to add this functionality it would be very appreciated.

I would love to have the ability to cut large enough to make gift boxes for wine.

1 Like

Cool thing! Would it be complicated to add a switch for metric values? Even if metric is not as “poetric” as imperial, it would open your app for the larger part of the world :slight_smile:

@paulkaplan

Metric? Pretty please?

How are you getting the tight tolerances? I have a gap no matter what path I use, very odd. Thoughts?

I had this issue on my first box, its super important to measure your material thickness properly and then choose “outside” for your path.

This is amazing! I’d like to make some record bins, same idea as @AngusMcleod suggested.

Any suggestions as to how to make this app do trays, with no tabs in topedge of the resultant tray?

I tried using Inkscape’s extension for making boxes. It is easy to manipulate the nodes to straighten the top edge and import into Easel and add dogbones in Easel.

Only problem is that the box making feature in Inkscape is making the box about an inch shorter than “designed”.

Cutting top is an option, but I would rather do it with my X-carve…

Bob

Hi Angus,

OK, now I see it. Easy! Thanks for your help.

Bob

1 Like

I made this tutorial on how to make a lidless box using Easel a while ago.

@paulkaplan I know to change the cut to outside, but why does it import “On the Path” in the first place. Are we missing something.

By the way Big Thanks for adding numerical value boxes for the apps. I know it was done a while ago, but its a huge help to me all of the time.

Hi,

Reading about how to use the Box Maker and Dogbone Generator apps, I read your comment so base on your experience both have to be set to cut outside the line, right?. I want to cut a couple of boxes and don’t want to waste material. I will appreciate your support, thanks an have a nice day.

Gabriel Hughes