New Categories Proposal

The purpose of this post is to outline and propose new forum categories:

Motivation:

1. Posts get disorganized and post in the wrong category
  2. There are so many current categories it’s hard to know where to post sometimes or where to browse.

Proposed New Categories
Announcements
This category is for major news, announcements, and updates by the Inventables team.

Made on a X-Carve
(Please share your pictures and stories of projects you’ve made on X-Carve here.)
Projects in process - ask questions and get feedback
Made on a Carvey
(Please share your pictures and stories of projects you’ve made on Carvey here.)
Projects in process - ask questions and get feedback
Tips and Tricks
Tips, tricks tutorials, and more: * The idea is these are curated and well thought through. These posts will be “curated” rather than moderated.* Tips and tricks can also be posted in “Everything Else”.
X-Carve
Carvey
Easel
Easel Pro

Machine Modifications

Technical Support
X-Carve
Carvey
Easel
Easel Pro

For Sale / For Trade

What do you think?

1 Like

I already love the made with categories. I think the projects category is gone the wrong way lately. It seems almost every new post in there is a question about a project and not a finished project. In the early days I browsed through it to get inspired.
I would love to have a category where only pictures of finished projects are posted without any comment on. Just to flick through nice pictures like in the early newsletter mails from inventables

1 Like

I would add specif category’s for questions. To organize These a bit more. Like machine questions project questions or cutting settings.

I think it’s very good idea. Everyone must understand that, what ever questions you have, it’s already there. Just use that magnifying glass to search first. We put them all there already all these times.

2 Likes

Where should people post projects in process where they have a question or need help or feedback?

1 Like

As I suggested a subcategory for projects like question about projects.

@FoxxFighter I updated the OP based on your proposal.

1 Like

I think it would be beneficial to have a “New to XCarve/New to Carvey” section(s) where new users could go to get help.

@DavidHovis how do you see this category being different than the technical support category? Would there also be technical support in New to XCarve/New to Carvey category?

Would it be possible to integrate a box where you can easaly input project settings like feeds speeds doc bits used. For the made with category’s.
So you could upload pictures with a dedicated location for the settings and then below free text for the project. To make these post look a lot a like on the Organisation side.

1 Like

Can you mock up what you mean? I don’t think I understand.

I pictured Thingiverse when I read @FoxxFighter’s description.
So, just build your own version of that…can’t be much to it. :wink:

Do you mean like this?

I think the projects section is great…it’s separate from the projects section in the forum, though. It’s gotta be tough to steer people to submit their projects. I see a lot on the forum that someone going to Projects | Inventables would miss.

1 Like

Why do you think that is?

I hope I can qualify. :wink:

1 Like

There’s @PhilJohnson and then there is the rest of us. He has more posts than me!

1 Like

somthing like a tamplet the automaticlie opens when you create a new thread in this categorys.
super quick mockup made in an other “forum” :

3 Likes

Every machine is different, sharing feedrates can be dangerous.

1 Like

Your right. I was just thinking about it because underneath every project someone is asking about the settings and to implement it right in the op seemed handy

1 Like