New dust boot!

Nice.
Making this one this weekend.

Still liking mine, think you will too. Did you see my other modification to this boot?

Make sure you incorporate it in your build. Made a big difference. Always fun to make sawdust, but even more fun when you don’t…lol.

1 Like

I like this. …very simple, very clean. But I’m still not clear on how the bracket is constructed and mounted to the carriage.

I’m guessing, please correct any errors below:
Two rectangle strips of 1/8" plastic with three triangles glued in place for bracing? (a=1.25"x5.5", b=3x5.5, triangle sizes unknown.)
2 holes cut in ‘a’ to for v-wheel nut/bolt clearance.
2 holes in ‘a’ for mounting to carriage.
Slot cut in ‘b’ for mounting vacuum tube.
2 holes in carriage for mounting bracket to carriage
2 bolt/nuts assembly glued to vacuum tube for mounting to bracket.
2 bolt w/wheels for mounting bracket to vacuum tube
length of 1-1/4" PVC w/2 holes drilled and mounted to dust boot assembly

1-1/4" sch 80 PVC? …and I assume you moved the Limit Switch over a bit so that you did not crush your assembly? I measured mine and it is ‘tight’. I don’t think I have the space unless I move the switch.

Is slot centered on 3" strip?

You stated that you tapped the PVC directly, but the pic appears to be nuts mounted to the vacuum tube. How? Superglue nuts to the washer and then superglue the washer to the tube?

I am inspired to incorporate much of your design into my own. Thank you for the post.

Hey Sterling

Bracket id made from 1/4” MDF
Short side= 1” with holes for mounting and bolt clearance
Long side= 3” with 1/4” slot centered 2” from back
Mount holes in Z bracket drilled and tapped for what ever bolts you want to use.
Vacuum tube is 1 1/4” thick wall pvc (sch 80)
Holes are drilled and tapped to size for the attachment bolt use are using.
Washers are glued over tapped holes (super glue) so tube lays flat and doesn’t rotate
Mount for vac tube is 1 1/4” pvc pipe coupler, cut to height and super glued to acrylic top
Tube just push fitted into coupler. This allows you to align exactly under bit.

This is a new revised edition of my dust collector with a few changes from original.
New bottom acrylic plate now has curved front and has slot in rear section to pick up any thing front missed.
This has worked great, and better than original. Nothing escapes!
Base is cut from 1/2” poplar, but could use mdf or plywood .
Acrylic is .125 cast acrylic from Inventables.
Skirt is stripped elastic strap and glued to base sides

I do not use limit switches.Nothing but trouble and took them off.
I have plastic stops in maker slides that limit movement before it crashes into something bad.

Pictures attached. Hope they help.
Also included Easel files for base and acrylic patterns.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

PS: I have looked and studied all the other dust boot designs, and can say I prefer mine for the easy of adjustment, simplicity and effectiveness.

Aloha…Jeff

http://easel.inventables.com/projects/Q7MQZ_y3HgHJ7ZmqQbUDHw

2 Likes

This is a good idea. I will be making a dust boot soon (seems to be one of the first mods users do). I like that is not connected to the Z carriage, so I am guessing changing bits is easy as raising the Z?

Yep, just raise the Z and bit is totally clear which you have to do to change the bit anyway. Boot stays adjusted to wood height.

Hi Jeff, This looks like a great way to build a dust shoe. I can’t get the Easel file to open would it be possible for you to re-post it?
Thanks Lindsay

Hi Lindsay, here’s the link for my dust shoe.
It’s still working great and haven’t had the need for anything different.
Super easy to build, effective and cheap…enjoy.

Great Jeff looking forward to building one thanks very much