New? inlay technique

Here is one with epoxy only

Love your work!!

4 Likes

@JimButler “Sign Standoffs”
You can find them online many places, even Home Depot.

Very nice work indeed.
But how did you get the wood inlay to adhere to the epoxy?

Titebond wood glue sticks to just about anything.

1 Like

Looks good. I don’t use epoxies. All my fills are made using Resin and colorant (solid or tints) Same resin used for fiberglass work.

Got mine on Amazon. Lots of diff sizes available.

West system???

Sanding resin.Buy it from Marine store. West System is expensive and dries tacky.

1 Like

They have a great uv cured resin. Drys in 5 min. in the sun. No catalyst needed. Great for clear fills. If you use solid color, then you need to add catalyst as the sun can not get thru the color. I get mine at Ace Hardware here in Hawaii.

1 Like

Jeff what is the brand of sanding resin?
I have tried the resin for fiberglass and it has a dark tint, not very clear. Cast n Craft is clear but very expensive.

The brand is “Fiberglass Hawaii”, so probably not available other than here in Hawaii. I know the box store stuff is dark.

West dries like a rock when mixed right. Different types require different mixing ratios though, and can be confusing. Don’t trust their pumps to be exact, that could be your problem. Use the pumps, but also measure what is dispensed to make sure amounts are as they should be.
Envirotex dries hard and is probably one of the easiest to mix, and most readily available in stores. Probation could to give ecopoxy a try soon.
I’ve noticed a lot of people don’t pay as much attention to mixing their epoxy properly. Mix both components in the container well with a popsicle stick/stir stick, taking care to scrape the sides of the container and bottom while mixing. Then pour that in to a new container to mix and mix well with another clean stick. A lot of times not mixing thoroughly or scraping the container while emptying the epoxy on to the work surface will remove unmixed components on to the surface resulting in spots that will not cure.

Thanks for the info Brian, but I don’t have any problems using West Systems or any other Epoxies for that matter, since I never use them any more.

1 Like

That looks great

I know this is an old post…but where do you get those mounting posts?

They’re called “sign standoffs”.
https://www.amazon.com/Set-Standoff-Hardware-Aluminum-diameter/dp/B00HST154G

This is where i have been buying my led standoffs.
https://www.outwater.com/standoffs-for-signage-and-displays/![IMG_20190304_083605727|666x500](upload://5noSVzmU5Lsobq6GKZOUKucSNgW.jpg)![IMG_20180218_135617396|666x500](upload://m9y1FPnByS9iLZgdF9OuW8ILJdI.jpg)

3 Likes

Wow, thanks so much for getting back to me!