New jtech quick disconnect mount

Damnit now I have to have someone print me a new one lol or finally buy a 3d printer :thinking:

2 Likes

I can with the linear Z and 2" lift but haven’t tried lowering and going full left. New one just looks better to me with my preference of symmetrical over lopsided mount. Still rewiring and waiting on pulleys. Going to be annoying you with lots of stupid questions as I wire up my controller soon.

1 Like

Just checked and your absolutely right it will hit… hopefully my wife caught all the not so subtle hints about the 3d printer in the Amazon cart for christmas and had a friend order it for her secretly or something lol if not I will have to drop more hints before my birthday in Feb lol

2 Likes

Looks great. Thanks Phil

1 Like

Nice design. How about adding a pointer to one of the edges as a marker for z-axis calibration. Just an idea

Ok I tried to draw a sketch with my finger lol

1 Like

thanks for sharing your new quick disconnect mount for JTech! I’ll be cutting the acrylic tomorrow. Looks great!

3 Likes

Yes, I saw the fume extractor. I’ll pick up a 4" booster fan and then decide what adapter to print. Nice touch on several angle options :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like what I’m seeing here Phil.

I am stuck in limbo… still waiting… for educators Easel Pro… and have put a notice on the computer telling students to avoid Pro until I get it ironed out. They told me it would take about a month after making application, but it hasn’t happened yet. The 4 day mode doesn’t work well in schools.

Then I see this post and since I’ve had a stand alone and expensive laser before at my other school, I’d like to investigate obtaining one of these for our school.

I just received a grant for an exhaust system and any left over money can be spent on stuff like this. Please private message on how I can get started with a Jtech laser.

I might also need your newest mount, to keep young eyes safe as they will all want to watch… like they do now as the X-Carve moves around. In fact, I may have to completely block the machine window because I’ll never be able to afford enough pairs of the special safety glasses.

The only way to do this is to completely enclose the laser system in a light tight box with an appropriate inspection window for the laser frequency that you use.

I can’t even begin to imagine the liability that you will face having students in the vicinity of an unenclosed class 4 laser.

1 Like

Are you selling these yet? As I don’t have a 3D printer I only get to peek through the window at this stuff. I did however just receive my new 2.8. So get ready with the “if you use the search function”. Button. Ill have you wearing it out in no time.

3 Likes

“In fact, I may have to completely block the machine window because I’ll never be able to afford enough pairs of the special safety glasses.”

I didn’t know what to call the orange material. My first thought… “what a good idea” to include another layer of protection with your new mount also having an orange layer. I currently have the X-Carve in an enclosed plywood box, mostly for dust control, but modifying the door to include a special (orange) inspection window would be a very easy task, if I even put in the window because everyone will want to look and that will cause a bottleneck in the shop. If only the orange material came in larger pieces, I could completely switch out the current door and everyone could see, but I may have to rethink this whole idea. If this laser is that dangerous, then even a plywood enclosure might not be enough around kids who might want to try to peak when your back is turned.

I wish I still had access to the 60 watt Epilog laser engraver at my old school, but they decided to keep it in a corner of the autoshop after they closed down my program, and someone pulled out the auto focus. The power cord and software are also missing last time I check up on it. There were paint splatters on it. I suggested letting my new school make the repairs if we could borrow or lease the machine. Then the Epilog company tells me the laser’s C02 cartridge will need replacing and they would have to go through the whole machine… costing at least a few thousand dollars, and that doesn’t mean the other district would even allow us to use it. So I was looking into alternatives.

It is. It can be operated safely, but you have to be very careful.

Although it would be a bit expensive you could put multiple filters in your enclosure.

Here is an example of a machine (very expensive) that takes care of the safety issue.

Hey thanks, I really like that Emblaser 2 and at $2900.00 it is a lot more affordable than the Epilog. In fact, it is a lot more affordable than I ever thought it could be. Now, how to afford it at this school. If I can reduce the cost of the exhaust system by removing one of the more expensive features, and find the least expensive SawStop, I might be able to get them all on this grant. Maybe… maybe… probably not yet. :sweat:

1 Like

Did you find a decent one from China?

And that is exactly why I came here with questions. I didn’t have a clue when I first posted. I knew I would get real answers here as Phil has helped me before and I knew I could trust his advise. I have used the Epilog laser at my other school and I could see there was a clear difference in the way the Jtech looks and acts. I started studying up on it, read what you guys have posted, and came to the conclusion that I couldn’t easily use this type of X-Carve laser attachment around students. I am now aiming for the Emblaser… which I would not have ever known existed if Larry M hadn’t told me about it. Thank you Larry. I’m hoping to find a way to obtain the Emblazer in the future.

1 Like

That is exactly my thinking. I’ve been teaching wood shop for a long long time. I definitely have the skills to modify the box that already contains the X-Carve, to be completely sealed during use. But… without at least one inspection window, or camera… how would you know when something is going right or wrong.

Then there is a hard fact that the door would need a (possibly electronic) locking mechanism with a cut off switch, so if someone did try to peek, it would first be difficult and if they got past the lock, it would immediately shut off.

Each of these problems could be over come, but as has been pointed out, the liability is much greater with a DIY project than purchasing a product that already has the safety features and is also being advertised as being for schools.

The $2000 difference between the Jtech and the Emblaser is well worth it. Especially when it comes to having children around and using it.

1 Like

I recommend you read customer’s experiences with it (pros & cons) before you decide to purchase one.

https://darklylabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

1 Like

Ugh.

I’m old enough to remember a time when you bought something, it would work.

picengravertoo
I recommend you read customer’s experiences with it (pros & cons) before you decide to purchase one.

Good point… not that I actually have the funds, but now when I look on some of the forums I’m seeing a possible down side of the Emblaser. Do you have a suggested product in mind? My experience is limited to the more expensive Epilog C02 engraver and when I saw the Emblaser, I didn’t know something like that even existed and at a more reasonable price than Epilog. I will say, the Epilog engravers I had were top notch machines. Keep them clean and they ran all the time with no issues.

LarryM
I’m old enough to remember a time when you bought something, it would work.

Me too! Retirement is just around the corner.

AngusMcleod
I firmly believe it is possible to design and construct a system that is safe. However, if liability is a concern (and I can see how it night be in your circumstances)

All good points to consider, and I do think I could have managed to get the cabinet tightly sealed when closed and be able to have an auto shut off in case someone opened it. If the inspection window was small, and there were two layers of orange over it as well as Phil’s quick disconnect mount with orange directly around the light beam, I think we could have made it work, but whenever someone mentions liability, it changes everything. Especially since it has been discussed out in the public. It would be kind of like building your own school bus, getting warnings from other that it isn’t a good idea, but then driving around with students in it, and the brakes fail.