New to CNC, Can the X-Carve do this?

I’m new to this CNC and wondering about something. I currently make small wood projects, cutting boards, coasters, etc… I have been really tossing around the idea of getting a CNC machine for a simple project. I want to make a cutting board US flag using three different types of wood. I have seen several different methods of doing this. Is the X-Carve capable of doing this? i’m not sure if all CNC machines are created equal. So i’d like to make this, but would like to replace the dots on the cutting boards with actual starts. thanks

Yes can do. It is V-Bit inlay if I’m not mistaking. It is possible.

Of course pictures not showing whole process. Those white stars on clean-up on the picture, after that must be male inlay process with V-Bit again.

I’m not sure of the exact toolchain the fellow is using there, but that kind of cutting is well within the X-carve’s capabilities. I’d suggest getting the version for the DeWalt mount, and getting the 611 right off the bat.

I’m having a blast with mine! :smile:

Something is definitely missing. I don’t know why he is using a v-bit on those pockets when the stars are not tapered. I suggest you also look at V-Carve Software by Vectric - it has auto inlay capability to simplify this process for you. Also search for “Drunken Woodworker” who is using an x-carve to make inlays and demonstrates a unique and much more detailed process using just Easel (which I have never used, but looks very easy to learn and less capable than V-Carve).

Like a said, pictures are not showing whole process. It is simple, he’s using 30 degree V-Bit on first picture, second picture showing large area cleaning process, must be third picture using 30 degree V-Bit again. Third picture he’s inserting male inlay to female stars with the glue. Last process is sending down after glue dry. (What ever that machine is, terrible surface cleaning.)

He’s using High-Z S-720/Т, CNC Milling machine and V-Bit.
Here is the full video:

Making a “US flag” end grain cutting board

I was wondering how he did it as well with the v-cut pockets. If you watch the video, he’s cutting rounded stars and rounded pockets, so I’m guessing those stills came from an earlier attempt. The video doesn’t seem to show him using any v-bits.

[edit] Also he mills the stars out individually and then places them in the holes one-at-a-time, so much easier if you mill the entire inlay as a single piece, and then carve/sand the excess.

[edit 2] Well, even more interesting, there’s a second video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40yMoXpQgLM where he does keep all the stars on a single piece, and uses a v-bit to make both the holes and the stars. I haven’t looked into V-Carve’s pocketing capability, maybe that’s something that it just handles for you?

Yep. This allows you to use sharp corners on inlays rather than being limited by the radius of your flat endmill. Here is the video tutorial: http://www.vectric.org/video/aspire4-vcp7/2d-25d-techniques/D07/D07-w.html

Hah, man, wish I’d known that back in the day, I’ve only done my pocketing manually. I probably spent an entire day making sure my design didn’t have any areas that a 1/16" bit couldn’t fit. Good to know!

Awesome. Thanks again for all the replies. Now to just get a perfect replication of the 50 stars and input it, I should be good to go.

There is actually another video describing how V-Carve handles THAT issue. The previous video was about v-bit inlays. THIS video covers the inlay specific features of V-Carve: http://www.vectric.org/video/aspire4-vcp7/feature-reference/G12/G12-w.html

I think this dude sounds like John Oliver.

Checking out the original video led me to MTMWOOD website. He has a lot of free plans and tutorials located here; plans.

If you like the cutting board in the video, you can purchase one from the site.

Now is this something that easel would be able to do? Or would a more elaborate software like vCarve pro be up my alley?

Easel probably CAN do such a thing, but V-Carve Desktop would be my choice, I think. :smile:

Gotcha, Thanks!

I thought I would give it a go. I had trouble cutting the two pieces apart and my band saw (super thin blade) ran afoul of the base a bit. So, I had to sand a little deeper than the point where the two v-carves make contact to get the BURN marks out. I really need a nice fat, stable band saw blade. Anyhow, it turned out way better than I thought for a first effort. Here is my first V-Carve inlay of our company logo:

This is where a nice planer comes in!