New to CNC Machining

Sure, I don’t mind.

When I get a little time, I’ll try and put together a video.

The trick is to get the gradient “expanded” into separate vectors and not just 1 vector with multiple shades in it.

@sketch42 Awesome, thank you because I have no idea how to do that, I probably did the latter.

Here is a walk through video of what to do in Illustrator.

5 Likes

I’m right there with you. New to cnc and got my xcarve a week ago. I’ve been making a bunch of signs using easel and have been reading everything I can about 3d carving. This is the first time any of it made sense and I can’t wait to play with grey scales in easel!

1 Like

After a while it all starts to gel in your mind then becomes clear and make almost perfect sense…

2 Likes

wish it would jell already…why do fonts not carve instead easel puts holes in the wood?

I would most certainly spend some hours learning OnShape if I was you @RyanBell - it is a fantastic CAD especially when you consider it is totally free :slight_smile: Good for 2.5D (export faces as DXF) or 3D (export as STL). I have used Sketchup for many years now but recently switched to OnShape - the key here is parametric drawing, you can adjust your measures on the way. Things that took hours to create in Sketchup takes minutes in OnShape.

For CAM I recently bought Estlcam - just starting to learn the CAM but it is really great with a lot of features. @ChristianKnull also frequently updates the software with new stuff. It is much more feature rich than Easel - and it is easy to switch from one to another (you can restore to grbl settings in the setup of Estlcam).

Good luck carving!

Hello sketch42.

Thank you for this information to help much. In my case, I just tried to draw the rectangle as vectorized on video. If I expand gradient to 255 objects, my google chrome browser crash every time, without the horse, just rectangle … If I expand gradient to 50 objects, it’s ok. What can be the problem? The graphics card? My PC has a processor 8 core clocked at 3.6 GHz, 16GB RAM, an SSD of 120 GB of which 47 GB free. Video card, meanwhile, is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 with 1GB ddr3 memory. Do you have an idea of the problem? What equipment do you own?

Thank you for your answers.

Cordially.

JB