New to using CNC and the X carve. Please Help!

I have had this system for about 2 months and I have yet to get it to make a good carve, I am using bits purchased through Inventables, everything is tight and square. yet I end up with results like this pictures below, also now my y axis is jerking when carving as well. I have the belts tightened to 5 lbs per inch. So I am not sure what I could be doing wrong. I am also using Easel. nothing fancy yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check for loose pulleys on your motors. Also tighten the wheel eccentrics adjustment until your wheels just spin with hand pressure. Not too loose not real tight. I tighten my belts until they produce a low thud noise. I’d maybe get a 1/4" straight bit from the home center and try that. Also, you may need to tram your work surface to level it.

Looks like your steppers are either slipping or stalling, check the mechanical aspects of your machine like Martin suggest. IIRC the belt tension should be 3-4lbs, tighter increase wear and risk of breaking.

Are you using the x-controller?

I am not sure about the X-Controller, but the old one had potentiometers to regulate the “strength”, it should be a good combination of tensions in the belts (but not too much, so it runs freely) and enough current to the steppers (but not too much either, because the controller or steppers may overheat)

The x-controller also has stepper trim pots.

Directions here (under Setting the Motor Current) :

1 Like