New Video on Trace Bitmap using Inkscape and Easel

Hew folks, I just uploaded a new video for the new folks out there on how to get started with Inkscape and using the trace bitmap feature. Go check it out
YouTube Channel: Paw Paw’s Workshop

2 Likes

I just got Inkscape last week on someone’s recommendation here in the forum. I spent a few days trying to get used to it while designing a project that I needed to have ready to carve by Saturday, so it could be finished on Sunday and out the door Monday morning. I hit an issue and employed a workaround using Photoshop, but in this video you explained how to do the thing that I couldn’t do. I kind of wish you’d made this a week earlier. But it’ll help someone else, so that’s good. And my project came out just fine with my workaround approach.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I still think you’re the Bob Ross of X-Carve videos. So calm.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I’m trying to choose topics that can help the new folks get up and running fast with their new machines. I hope that I am helping people out there. I’ve only been making videos for only about two weeks now even though I’ve thought about doing it for along time. It triples the time it takes to do a project, but I enjoy doing it and I hope it’s helping people

If you can be bothered to do it, you might show on screen the actual “Carve” interface, how to home the bit, and all the actual steps required to make the machine go. In theory, the user would already know how to do that, because it’s a final step of the building process. But a methodical demonstration of running a carve might accidentally reveal a tip or crucial step that someone is overlooking. Your video in which you design your workshop sign in Easel was a great one, but then it jumps from finalizing the design to the machine carving away. Someone out there might benefit from seeing a walkthrough of the “Carve” interface in between. IF you can be bothered!

Thank you for the suggestion. I will do that. I know there are many different ways to do it. I try to keep my process very simple. Yes, I’ll do a video.

1 Like

You are very generous with your time. Even if I never learn another thing from you, I admire and appreciate what you’re giving to the community.

2 Likes

Thanks, @PhilJohnson. @PhillipLunsford showed how to do the thing in his video, so I’ve got it for next time, and this project (a sign… I actually made a sign) is complete and on its way to its new owner. But I’ll definitely check out your link for more tips. Vector graphics are so tidy.

2 Likes

Awesome. One more happy customer

1 Like

Working on the video now

I posted the setup xcarve video hopefully you will find it helpful @KimberlyFranzen

1 Like

I just finished watching it. I appreciated your tip about logging machining time so you can be prepared for brush changes. I hadn’t considered why it might matter. Now I regret the data I haven’t collected over the past year. But I’ll definitely log it for the next set!