New X-Carve feedback

Could you please post a video so we can hear it?

Sometimes the delrin nut makes a slight resonating vibration noise. We ship some lube with the nut that might quiet it down if that is the cause of the noise.

I wondered what that lube was for, didnā€™t see it anywhere in the assembly directions to use it. Is it required? Will it attract dust and require constant cleaning and re-lubing?

1 Like

It is for the Delrin but and ACME screw to keep it running smooth. Itā€™s not required itā€™s optional.

I donā€™t know the answers to your other two questions. It probably depends on a lot of factors like the type of material you carve and how much you apply.

Zach,
My shop is in a pole barn and right now its quite cold out there.
Iā€™m quite sure that the noise is coming from the stepper motor because if I help it up it towards the limit switch, it seems to help.
I will certainly check out the delrin nut.
Maybe the lube will help.
I did not know what the lube was for.
I will report back.
Iā€™ve been out in the shop all day.
What a great machine. (I havenā€™t been this exited about anything is a long time)

A friend of mine started a brewery.
Iā€™m hoping to make signs for his business.
This is a miniature example.
comments are welcome.

2 Likes

Here are my questions/problems as a new user:

1. How can I jog the XYZ without going to carve something? Iā€™ve tried UGS, but itā€™s ackward to stop easel and switch up and back, Iā€™ve started just going through the actions to carve and using that.
  2. The wood/preview view of easel doesnā€™t seem to have a zoom in (someone mentioned click and scroll wheel, but my computer doesnā€™t have a scroll wheelā€¦)
  3. It seems if you jog the XYZ it doesnā€™t seem to listen to the limit sensors.
  4. What is the best method to keep dust off the tracks and belt? It seems to smush in after a while and be hard to get off.
  5. Can you do multiple (more than 2) bit types? Also, I did a .125 and .0625 carve, and it seemed like the .0625 bit was going through almost all of the actions as the .125.
  6. What is the best way to carve on woods not listed in easel? For example: white oak, lacewood, tigerwood, mahagany, saple, etc.

Decent carves so far, nothing to write home about as Iā€™m still calibrating. Hopefully will change that soon after Iā€™m content everything is up and running happily so I donā€™t blow large blocks of exotic or more expensive woods.

1. As of right now going through carve is the only way.
  2. A scroll wheel on your mouse is the only way I know of.
  3. They are only used as homing swiches. Turn on and set your soft limits. (Search @PhilJohnsonā€™s help post)
  4. Set up a dust boot ASAP.
    5&6 I cannot really comment on. I usually design in Aspire so Iā€™m not real hip to the tips and tricks in Easel. Again thatā€™s Phils area.
    Best of luck and happy carving.
2 Likes

Zach,
Per your request, Iā€™m posting a short video of the grinding noise n the Z stepper motor.
you will notice that the Z slide stops moving when it make the noise.
You can also see me pushing UP on the Z carriage in an effort to help it along.

I donā€™t know what happened.
Iā€™ll try again here

Grinding noise usually means that the stepper motor is stalling on that axis. Temp changes will affect metal dimensions, it is quite possible that you need to readjust wheel tension. Also make sure the delrin block is square to the rod/not skewed. Since the motor stall UP and not DOWN indicate that combination of weight/friction is overpowering the motor torque.

5 - No, only two bits/two carve operations are supported at this time. You can cheat this by running same code/adaptations of the original code with new/appropriate bit size.
6 - By experience. There are no hard limit/range as the machine is a system with many variables which all make a play in that equation. :slight_smile:

ok, I canā€™s seem to get the video to upload
what am I doing wrong?

Normally videos are posted to Youtube and the link is then shared here.

Ohā€¦
Well I guess I cant post the video.
I donā€™t do you tube.

Zach,
How would you like me to proceed?

@JanVanderlinden are you able to upload it to YouTube? You can do it unlisted if you wish and post the link here or email it to help (at) Inventables (dot) com directly if you prefer. You could also call us at 312-775-7009 and let one of the Customer Success team members listen to it over the phone or video chat.