No matter what I do i can't get this screw to clear the bottom screw

I filed one side of the screw head flat , it slid right into place.

2 Likes

I changed those to low profile socket heads because of that issue. But I had them on hand. Otherwise Iā€™d just file down one of your buttonhead screws there.

dam , they will go in one way. long screw first short screw second .

ThANKS!

Thanks!

Hi,

I used a grinder and clipped the edges off of each of one of the screws.

Hereā€™s the post with a photo:

I also called Inventables and told them about it but they insisted that it ā€œworksā€ and that there is enough clearance which (as evidenced by other folks running into the same issue) is nonsense. You shouldnā€™t have to force anything and risk damaging the threads on the screws. During my build I began to wonder if anyone at Inventables attempted to assemble the product using the instructions provided before shipping?

Personally I came quite close to shipping the unit back due to what I consider poor instructions, poor packaging (had to get 2 additional shipments of hardware which to their credit Inventables was excellent about) and dodgy quality.

Inventables should ship you new brackets with screws that work.

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly.

1 Like

I had the same issue as you all, and I reached out to support as well. Their response was to put the long screw in first then ā€œuse forceā€ to push the small screw head through.

I pointed out that this is clearly poor design and nothing should be forced into place, especially the amount of force required to get the small screw into place. Nor should we be bending or modifying things to make things work.

The hole should clearly be, at least, 2mm away from the tensioning bolt head.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @MartinSawinski!!

No offense to anyone in the thread, but this thread is just continuing on. We all know there is a design issue with the clips, but they are just small steel belt clips. All we can do is reach out to Inventables and explain where we see problems. It is not really something that you could just get resolved tomorrow if Inventables does not have any redesigned clips in their inventory.

Way back when I put my machine together, I had to force the short bolt in, but it didnā€™t even scuff it.

Letā€™s just all agree that there is definitely an issue and get on with making beautiful things with our X-Carveā€™s.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

English is not my first language so I may be misinterpreting your post so no offense, but we canā€™t just ā€œget over itā€. Iā€™m happy it was easy for you but for many of us that were expecting a ā€œ90 min upgradeā€ it was beyond frustrating and that is why Iā€™m taking the time to post: to help others, to make sure Inventables knows about the problem (and if they are, do something about it), and finally, yes, to vent.

Just this issue took me hours to figure out because I kept thinking I was doing something wrong and didnā€™t want to damage anything, so I went back and watched/read all the ā€œstep by stepā€ instructions I could find to see if someone else had this issue but, since no one mentioned it and Inventables wouldnā€™t miss something so obvious, it had to be me! So I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

As proven in this thread, we are all capable of figuring out a solution, IF we know there is a problem. It would have been easier if Inventables:

1. Acknowledged and apologized for the flawed design.

2. Added a note on their instructions on this issue with the ā€œsolutionsā€ (grind or buy different screws)

3. Redesigns and fix it

As always, the hardest of all is number 1, so much that Iā€™ll bet they know and for one I havenā€™t head anything from them.

PS
I ā€œsolvedā€ the issue by grinding the caps (a couple had to do both to make them fit). I would recommend other screws or grinding all around, if you grind just one side like I did you may have to force it.

And I have another related issue: because of the increased size, the belt clip hits the v-wheel and blocks the last inch of travel reducing my overall machining area by 7%, which didnā€™t happen with the original belt.

2 Likes