No matter what I do i can't get this screw to clear the bottom screw

Put that one in first…

{:0)

Brandon Parker

here’s what putting the other one on first looks like. don’t let anyone tell you that this works. it doesn’t. I had to bend mine to get it to work. I should have bored them out instead. did you make yours work?

Is this for the upgrade kit?

Also, can you just force the small bolt in there? Structurally, it should not hurt the bracket to have it flex once. Once it is there, it should not need to be disassembled.

Brandon Parker

1 Like

It works… if you happen to have extra socket head cap screws :man_shrugging: i used my own screws instead…

1 Like

Mine wasn’t the upgrade kit. New build November 2021 version. Bent metal looks terrible but it was really a no go the way inventables has this constructed. I emailed them about it and crickets. I think I may reach out again because as much as it works, it stinks of jerry rigging.

My X-Carve is ancient (2015) and it has similar belt clips. I remember it not being very easy to get the two in there, but it is doable unless they have changed the bottom one’s distance from the elbow or some were not manufactured correctly. It could be that the clip is bent a little too far past the 90-deg point as well…

Brandon Parker

1 Like

long one first

Yeah, I’ve been so frustrated I walked away before I took a hammer to it. I’m going to Fastenal today to see if I can find something that works better. Poor design on Inventables part. Got a response from tech support that made no sense.

I’m with you on that. For something so simple this shouldn’t be so frustrating.

Haven’t gotten it to work. May try flexing it forward and then straightening it back but I’m worried about damaging it.

It would take quite a bit to damage a steel angle bracket. I would just shove that little bolt in there. It will go, but it will take some force.

Brandon Parker

From the title, I knew exactly what you were having problems with. I ended up getting some different low profile screws from open builds that are flat instead of rounded. I also wonder if one can just file a flat on the screw head?

Low Profile Screws M5 (10 Pack) - OpenBuilds Part Store

I ran into that issue while assembling my Xcarve last week. Didn’t want to do it, but just bent the brackets then straightened them back out. Everything works just fine.

this is the way to go. this should be the part of the actual build process. ive seen multiple people complain about this issue. the fact that there are still builds going out without swapping four silly bolts is wild.

I agree. I finally went with a M5 8mm flat head phillips screw and a m4 20 mm socket head screw

If the underside of that is beveled, you may not get enough clamping force…just a thought. As long as it works though…

Brandon Parker

I think you’d want the beveled one horizontally as youre dealing with a linear strength and you’d want the flat one vertical as it needs to seat /clamp properly. I think youre 100 percent correct.

Good point. Thanks.

Had the same issue, but the only reason it won’t clear is the black coating. I just put the long screw in first and then put the smaller screw at an angle and used the hex key the screw it through the coating there was no damage to the threads doing this. Hope this helps.

2 Likes