Now building my own Raspberry Pi based controller

I am wanting to get this thing up and running… just ordered some bits, terminal blocks, and shielded wire.

An actual update on this!!! IT LIVES!!!

I set up a test rig on my table with everything and tried it out… everything moved! So I mounted my motors and wired it all up and tried it out… STILL WORKED!!! almost totally. I say almost because the Z axis is reversed (all other axis are fine). I have not found anything yet in bCNC that will allow me to just reverse the motor there. I asked on the RPI CNC hat forum and awaiting some help there.

I also tried running some g code for a 1" star. The machine looks like it is doing an area for a 3" star instead. Would this be a micro stepping fix? I left those settings as they were shipped to me and they all match.

in the mean time I am building my Easel portfolio. Once my machine is running proper, I am gonna be busy.

1 Like

Either switch the polarity of one of the Z motor coils or change your $3 to reverse the Z direction.

With a scaling factor of 1:3 microstepping will not help since it is typically based on 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc.
Easily done with a recalibration of steps per mm.

Thanks for the info guys. I will address the Z now and the size issue once I can actually carve. I will do a 3" square with a 1" circle inside.

I got the setting right at this point I think… the cool part about a wooden machine is that you can brad nail a carpenters pencil to your z and at worse you break the pencil. I had it drawing the square and it was the perfect size after changing my $100, $101, $102 = 125.000 from the 250 it was previous.

Now I just need to cut my waste board, Tram the router, and get it cutting.

1 Like

Finally got to upload part 1 of the Controller build.

Hi @BlueLocktite

I have ported the Easel drivers (that you normally install on your computer) to run on a Tessel 2 board. This is similar to an rPi but much simpler and quicker to setup. The arduino plugs into the Tessel via USB cable and the Tessel presents itself as a remote Easel device on your network. It works extremely well. I just updated the software to the latest Easel driver version 0.3.10 a few days ago.

This solution is perfect if you want something simple and quick to setup and you only want to use Easel to control your machine.

Let me know if you need any help. Also, FYI, I helped user-test the early versions of the protoneer shield (developed here in New Zealand!) and it’s a great product and a great person behind it all.

Cheers

@RusselWerner

Thanks for the input and the link. I will definitely give it a whirl.

I am extremely satisfied with the Protoneer hat so far. To this point I have only been using bCNC on the RPI and pretty happy with how it works… I want to add the full Easel ability to have as an alt option anytime I want.

I have been using @SamyKamkar Easel Local for Linux on the Rasperry Pi3 for a while now and I could not be happier with it.

also here is the thread on this forum that it was posted in.

really easy to compile and also has the ability to load on start and can also do upgrades through the Easel site (firmware and such). I use Firefox browser in raspberian OS and the 3D as well as Easel Local with a spare television that I have in the garage with a wireless controller.

1 Like

Ok a little question… or 2…of a few more

first one… My drivers (4.2A max) were shipped with them set at 1A. I left them set there as I tune the machine… I figured the less power would mean they would stall out when they bottom out or do something stupid and not wreck the machine. question here is when I really start running what amps should I kick it up to? full bore or start out like half way and work up from there? when I change the amps… is there another setting I need to change? ( I know it will allow me to increase my speeds … currently set at 2000mm/min)

Second group… I am running lead screws for x y and z… same motors as well on all 3 axis. is there a reason that when I set $102 the same as $101 and $102 … the z is moving 2x (aprox) what the other axis move? as an example I cut a 2 inch square on the outside… real life it is 1.87 inch… but I had it set to cut 1/4 inch and it really went about 1/2. after some messing around I have $102 = 90 and it is pretty close. question here is that according to GRBL settings they should all be set to 125.98 ($101 and $102 are = 125 right now) so in my head z should have been cutting less than 1/4 at 125 not 2x as much… any thoughts on this?

I would run the amp limit to the motor rating right away.
Then find speed ($110-112) and acceleration limits ($120-122) of that configuration.

I have lead screws myself, ACME, and I am currently at 5000mm/min for X/Y and 3000mm/min for Z with acceleration set at 750 for all three.

Check you Z micro step setting or recalibrate steps/mm for Z.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but, do you have a better image of this wiring diagram? Perhaps a PDF or a place I could download it?

No problem at all!!!

Here is a link to the Wiki. There is a section about 2/3 of the way down that shows the external driver boards (there is 2 styles). That should show you what to hook up where.
https://wiki.protoneer.co.nz/Raspberry_Pi_CNC

Also for support I recently started a Raspberry Pi CNC group on FaceBook. Check that out… it is a small group but it hopefully help. Try it from this link

I love my controller. It has worked great

Nice topic! Maybe I can try this!!