Ok so I bought the x carve now putting together

So you’re saying the upgrade can’t be completed using the existing nuts unless you either source different nuts or ignore Inventables’ instructions and take the wasteboard off so that you can slide a piece of wood or 3D-printed plastic in the slot to keep the nuts from rotating? (I think that shim idea will only work for the first and third nut, but not the middle one.)

What I hear you saying is that they’ve shipped the wrong components. I don’t think it’s appropriate that every buyer should have to ignore their instructions nor have to buy replacement nuts because the ones that came with the upgrade are the wrong ones.

Don’t you agree?

Thanks, that clear’s things up a bit! I have sat and looked at what is offered in the build instructions and relooked and your statement is spot on none of the videos out there take it step by step or you have some guy that sets things to fast forward through some things that might be key issues for others! I am still going in circles trying to figure which end is suppose to be up, forward,etc,

1 Like

Seth,

Just because you’re asking, here’s a photo of a stiffener with the nuts and screws. Notice that the bump is facing toward the stiffener and where the opening in the slot will be. That’s the correct way, right?

1 Like

No they shipped the right components, you just don’t comprehend how to use them. call inventables and get the other peanuts or check Amazon

So show me. Do they look correct in the above photo?

And what about peanuts???

Yes, that’s correct… but I would loosen it even more and possibly wiggle the screw or bar as you tighten each of them… you’re right that sometimes they don’t want to turn at all and thus don’t tighten, but I’ve never seen them spinning freelyas you’ve described.

If the t-nuts spin in the channel completely then they are not the correct size for the extrusion. I highly suspect that Inventables did not mess that one up, but…who knows…

The t-nut shown in the image above that is attached to the screw is a post assembly t-nut. They are meant to be slipped into a channel after access to that channel has been obstructed by other things. They do however take a little getting fenagling if the screw being used is barely long enough. You need to just barely thread the screw into the t-nut, insert it into the channel until it bottoms out but with not a huge amount of pressure, and then, tighten it. The t-nut needs to get under the lip of the extrusion, and if the screw is just barely long enough then it can be a little tough sometimes.

That is just my two-cents based on my experience with them.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

I’ll just add this in case you have problems lining up parts. I’ve used 3 types of those t nuts in various iterations of my X carve. They all work. I’ve found that the ones that slide easily can get lined up with other parts by using a skinny screwdriver that fits through the two mating holes. I made my own basswood table sections between t slot and used this method to install the m5 screws to hold the wood to the extrusion under it. The ones I like the best are the ones with the little leaf springs on the sides. Also make sure the length of the m5 screw isn’t too long or they won’t tighten up properly. You can try this on the end to make sure the length of the screw is correct.

1 Like

Bob did you understand what Brandon said?

Russell

1 Like

New Brit work shop

1 Like

The materials are correct. I did my upgrade about 3 months ago and remember having a little trouble at beginning. Once you figure out the right touch(T nuts barely on) they will all come together easier.

Yes, I was finally able to get the 64 tee nuts installed in the stiffeners.

Why they didn’t just ship nuts that slide in at the ends highlights the product development team not appreciating the fundamental difference between them being able to do something in the lab and them releasing a production product that has a “wide enough path to success” for all customers. I know the Inventables fanboys will push back on this point, but I think it’s fundamental to the user experience of their products.

Oh, and the reason it took me 4 days to post again in this thread is that they have the forums configured to only allow members who haven’t posted in the last year to only submit a few postings before locking me out. Again, not enough appreciation of the user experience.

Now, I love my X-Carve, but let me tell you, I would not say I am a “fanboy” by any means…

Let me preface this statement with the fact that I have not and most likely will not purchase the upgrade kit from Inventables for my X-Carve. I made my own Z-Axis years ago from 3/4" aluminum and linear guides; the rest of the upgrades are trivial compared to the Z-Axis being upgraded, in my opinion.

That being stated, wouldn’t shipping t-nuts that ONLY slide in from the end of the extrusion prevent people with fully assembled machines from installing the stiffeners unless that disassemble the majority of the machine…?

For the second statement, all I can say is that I believe this was done for two reasons. First, spammers are all over the internet and they have been hitting forums hard in recent years. Second, sometimes new users come to the forum for help, which is great, but then they get completely flustered for differing reason and go off on rants and tirades. This second one is just speculation on my part, but it makes sense to me because most people get really worked up when things do not immediately go 100% smoothly for them these days.

Taking a day or so to work through problems before being allowed to throw possibly rude and insulting comments at other forum members who are NOT being compensated by Inventables in ANY WAY AT ALL is probably a good thing.

It may take some time and some head-scratching, but most members on this forum want every other member on this forum to succeed just as much, if not more, than they have. If your opinion is that the limitation for postings by new members is too restrictive, I would definitely send Inventables an email and/or tag some of the Inventables staff members in a new post respectfully outlining your position and arguments.

Have you gotten you X-Carve completely assembled and ready to go? We will all be looking forward to your first project!

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Let me prefix this post by saying that we have a number of 3D printers in our shop as well. We’ve probably had 20 or more in the last decade. We bought every single one of them as a kit, and we do so on purpose. Building the kits is an excellent way to learn how they work, understand their strengths and weaknesses , and learn how to fix them when needed.

So I’ve gone through many assembly instruction sets. Some are very detailed because the assembly is involved. Prusa3D, for example. Some instructions are short and sweet because one of the design objectives of the architecture was making assembly easy. Creality is a good example.

Just my opinion, and put out without judgment, is that more focus should have been put into the user experience of this upgrade. I’m hopeful that the end result will be worth the $ investment. But the upgrade process could have been design so much better in a number of ways. Just to stay on point, non-rotating tee nuts should have been used wherever possible. (More on that in a second.) But just as importantly, the instructions that guide customers through this upgrade are maybe1/4 as detailed as they should have been. I don’t think the problems we’re experiencing were anticipated by the team because they just didn’t think like users. They kept thinking like the designers and technicians that they are. That was an unfortunate business decision that affects the Inventables brand.

Now, to your questions. This upgrade of the z-axis involves replacing the front and back plates on both sides. This would have allowed non-rotating tee nuts to be inserted into the T slot for the top of the stiffeners without any additional disassembly. Temporarily removing a corner bracket and loosening a couple of wasteboard screws on each side would allowed similar access to the slot used by the bottom of the stiffeners.

No, I’ve still not completed the upgrade, both because there have been a number of other challenges we’ve had to overcome, and because we just haven’t had to opportunity to spend as much time coming up with solutions as we’ve needed to. But I expect to complete the upgrade before midweek.

Finally, you explain the reasoning behind why I was locked out of the forums. I get it. Except that the Inventables team just wouldn’t answer the support line or call me back. So, though we’re promised support, all we’re in fact left with is the forums. Again, think about my user experience - a complex upgrade design, with insufficient assembly instructions, the promised phone support not available, then getting kicked off the forums. Again, no judgment, just not an acceptable experience.

1 Like

I can sympathize with the support issues, and I know things are not always ideal.

I am not sure if it helps or even matters, but I had a short meeting with @JeffTalbot recently to review some possible new Easel updates, and I made sure to mention that the Customer Success has been a little lacking as of late based on feedback here on the forum.

From my own perspective, I have raised a couple of Easel bugs lately only to be told that the issue was either not an issue or something not as described, but in reality the bugs were just as I had stated and demonstrated with data.

There could be things that are out of their control, so some patience from the customer side can not hurt. If given a chance in the near future, I will definitely continue to bring up the customer service issues to personnel at Inventables based on feedback from the forum.

In the mean time if you have any other issues with getting your machine together that we can help with here on the forum, just ask.

At least we all have this great community of people to help when needed! :grin:

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Brandon, you’re a champ.

The attitude inside Inventables could evolve over time, but the process involves them recognizing the need, coming up with a plan with milestones involving customers like you, then executing with eyes wide open.

We’ll see. Often the biggest challenge comes from insiders thinking that they’re the only one’s who “understand”.

Is there anyone in the LA area with experience setting up a brand new X-Carve that i can hire to setup mine at home?

Hi Matthew, Welcome to the forum!

There’s a degree of knowledge that one gains during the assembly, and calibration of the cnc that the owner really should perform themselves. There are a bunch of youtube videos covering assembly, and the manual covers the steps pretty well.
There’s a degree of maintenance and calibration that have to occur on a routine basis that you’ll need the know how it was assembled in order to do that maintenance/calibration.

I know this isn’t the answer you were looking for, but I had to say it.

2 Likes

There are numerous people in Louisiana that have the XCarve. Plus there are many many people on this forum all of which can help and answer questions. You need to put it together yourself. You will learn so much. Ask questions if you have problems. You’ll get help

2 Likes