Open builds XYZ Probe +5v

I am using the Openbuilds XYZ probe in gSender for my XCP and it works well, but I wanted the noise filtering and LED lights to work. It requires +5v power, so I made a usb-c plug that takes 5v power from my laptop. Whenever the spindle lead is connected now it returns as contacted though. Unplug the 5v power and it works normally again. I guess I need a 5v that is supplied only on probe contact? Does anyone know more about this and can help?

Do you have ground connected as well?

Yes, I have the signal wire and ground wire connected to the HMI. The +5v goes to the power out on a usb c.

The 5V should be constant. You don’t want it to just be +5V on contact.
Assuming you’re correctly wired to 5V, you’d want to make sure your grounds are common. Can you just pull 5V from your board?

1 Like

Aha, that makes a lot of sense. I am not sure if I can or not, I wired the probe to a DC power plug to use the same female plug on the x-carve hmi. Is there a +5v I can pull from inside the hmi? I haven’t peeked inside of it, since I used the plug and had no need to. Thanks for the help by the way.

Hi there, I would love to add the xyz probe to my machine, but know nothing about grbl, where can I get some help doing this? Thanks

I ended up not using the led lights, just wired it up for a plug that went into the front of the HMI same as the stock probe. I use Gsender and the xyz probe function built in to that software. Only thing you need to know really is that the xcarve pro requires a baud rate of 57600, where all other GRBL software and machines operate at the standard 115200. You’ll need to set that in the sender settings prior to connecting to your machine.

1 Like