Oramask advice please

I’ve had great luck with 12" wide Oramask. I purchased a roll of 30"W 813 for a 30x30 sign I’m making. I wasted 4 pieces of it yesterday. It is an absolute BEAR to work with at that width, trying to get it bubble-free. Has anyone sprayed soapy water on their work and then squeegeed it out before CNC work? I understand that my workpiece has to be finished, so that it doesn’t absorb the water. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

The material should be very smooth and finished before applying the Oramask. You apply it pressing from the center out towards the edges smoothing as you go. I use a wooden roller to FIRMly press it into the wood and I never have experienced any bubbling. It can be a pain to remove afterwards and I usually end up using an exacto knife blade or sharp chisel to lift the tiny pieces from the edges of cut letters, etc.

I love the stuff, it works very well.

I use the 24" roll all the time. I usually just use a Costco Card or something similar to push out all the bubbles. I would assume the 30" would be very similar.

It’s hard to explain but I will try,
Cut the piece of oramask needed
Lay it on your substrate
Place a piece of tape across the oramask about 1/3 the way to make a hinge.
Fold the oramask at the tape and peel off the backing.
Cut the backing and pull the corners of the oramask and squeegee down.
Then fold the remaking oramask over and peel the backing off while sticking the oramask down.

Edit: Sorry some of the picture are out of order, I took them and sent them from my cell

3 Likes

Thanks all. I’m using a plastic squeegee and have done all of the above, with the exception of starting from the middle like Russell suggests. I’ll give it a whirl. Thanks.

1 Like

Russell, as always… great advice. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks and you’re welcome.
Is that PVC? It came out good

1 Like

If you get an air bubble in the middle just poke i hole in it with an exacto blade and work out your bubble.

1 Like

Luke warm water with a few drops of dish washer soap make a great film to float on.
Just spray on, lay down Oramask and squeegee the water/air out.
Downside is it takes a little longer to adhere fully and it work best on smooth surfaces (non-porus)

1 Like

Thanks. It’s actually plywood. That’s factory Kubota paint. I assume that’s why it laid on so well.

1 Like