Otter's garden

Hi Phil, Very good project, but pocketing must be improved.
Looks like you’re rushing. For the project like this, I would use .125" spiral for clean, .0625 spiral for final pass.
Also between tool change I’m using .125" bit’s cleaned surface as reference to zero second bit and running second pass for 0 depth. If it passes little higher, I’m giving little more depth until touches the surface nice and even. I can post you several pocketing operation I have done maybe tomorrow. It takes time but result is worth it. m2c.

1 Like

That’s the way I suggest without probe. Also what you can do is, for the second pass you can jog it to pocket area, lower down spindle until touching to surface, release your chuck let bit to be easily touch to surface and hold the bit then tight the chuck, click reset Z.I did this zillion times.

Technical issues aside, that’s pretty awesome! One thing as I’m looking at the layout though, does there need to be that border around the otter? It makes it a bit busy. It may depend on the finishing scheme. I know when I make t-shirts, foreground vs. background vs. foreground gets pretty confusing on complicated designs.

1 Like