Out of the Starting Gate, into the Wall

This is an example of, “I don’t always test my project, but when I do, I do it in Production.” Would you more experienced folks do some speculating on what went wrong here, please? Let me just say, the bit was not snagging on anything like knotholes, that would have thrown it off course. This is the start of a rough cut using a 1/4" bit. Feed rate 45 ipm, plunge 9, depth per pass 0.125.

How long have you had it running? Is this your first carve?

Nm I see you’ve been here for awhile lol. Lots of new faces around. So I’m assuming you’ve checked the isual then.

1 Like

I’ve had the CNC for a while, but haven’t done but two prior projects on it, both of which came out fine. There’s been a lot of time in between doing other stuff, and I haven’t even finished all the tutorial videos yet.

.125 depth per pass is quite deep.

It looks like the belt or pulley is slipping.

It seems depth was the problem. Going back to Easel default 0.028 kept it on path, and it doesn’t have burns on the sides like before. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks, Phil. Yep, the bit is darkened. In the process of trying to make sense of the cut settings I found this formula:
Chipload * cutter diameter * # flutes * RPM = feedrate

So that put me trying to figure out what chipload is, and I found this chart:
https://www.vortextool.com/images/chipLoadChart.pdf

and that’s how I came up with my feedrate of 45-50. I didn’t see anything dealing with plunge or depth, and I just figured, “okay, a 1/4” router bit ought to be able to handle 1/8" depth of cut pretty easily." This was based on my past router use, which all dealt with cutters on the side of the bit, not end mills. Live and learn.

I also learned an eye-opening lot about heat being the enemy. I’d been thinking I had to slow the bit’s sideways movement and speed up the RPM, and it turns out the opposite was needed.

2 Likes