Pair of Pennsylvania Dutch Clocks completed with my X-Carve 2.0

Right after completing the build of my new X-Carve 2.0 a few weeks ago I wanted to give it a workout. I also wanted to try my hand using VCarve Pro 8.5 after taking classes. Found one of the monthly projects on Vectric’s site and ran with it.

Here’s a shot of a completed pair of Pennsylvania Dutch Clocks carved out with my X-Carve 2.0.
One is in Special Walnut stain (L), the other in Early American stain ®.

Steve…

28 Likes

Those turned out amazing!

Chachin…

1 Like

Daaaaaaaaammn!

Good job.
We are all impressed and thanks for sharing.
:slight_smile:

Those are beautiful, what wood did you cut those from?

Remarkably, Lowe’s Premium Select Pine board… Nice grain, and really clear too.

Steve…

1 Like

Very nice.

very nice work. How did you finish them?

Very nice! Damn I’d totally take classes to make something that nice

After detail sanding, I applied a coat of Minnwax Pre-stain (oil based) then two coats of Minnwax stain. 24 hours later a coat of Zinsser sealer. Only a quick 320 final sand followed by 2 top coats of Minnwax Gloss Lacquer.

Steve…

2 Likes

Those final coats of gloss lacquer really make it pop.

I have had a terrible time applying the final lacquer so it is nice and even.

I did mine face up(down) on a pair of small sleepers, then light coats to build up. Top, then bottom and back and fourth until completed. A little at a time to avoid runs. Just “light wet dusting” It takes time… 3 days total on the top coats…

Steve…

Did you use the spray can version?

Yes… Much easier…

Steve…

1 Like

Thanks, I will try the spray next time.

1 Like

http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/projects/2013/dutch-country-clock.html

1 Like

http://www.vectric.com/vectric-12-days-of-christmas/#

Wow! Most people just start with “Hello World”… Can’t wait to see what you crank out when you get some practice.:sunglasses:

1 Like

I used the original project files and only adjusted the toolpaths to match my machine. Minor change on the V-bit, used a 90 degree instead of the 60 degree called out. No deeper just wider. It made for a nice clean carve, and my finishing did the rest…

Steve…

Phil,

You were right. I forgot that I made a change for both those toolpaths and selected a 90 degree V-Bit instead of the called out 60 degree V-bit. It gave it a bit wider and more tighter detailed look.

Steve…

3 Likes