Peter Marshman

I am new but trying to master CNC and G codes. I have been hand routing lettering in pine (predominantly) but obtained a 3018 to do a better job. I have used (and prefer) script but all fonts I have found have varied thickness in the letters depending where it is on the letter curves. I have used a 1/8 ball bit as I insert 12 gauge wire into the slot, sand the top of it off so it presents as a metal insert. How can I get around the multiple strokes the CNC takes, making the groove too wide to insert the 12 gauge wire? The CNC will do a great job if I can master this. Anyone?

it sounds like you want a single line font. Easel does not have these so you’d need to use a different graphic design software to create a SVG file of the design using a single line font…
then import that into easel and cut on the path of that line.

Seth gives good advice. These are called “single line fonts” and also “engraving fonts” and “single stroke fonts”. These are popular for some pen based Cricut projects and also for CNC diamond drag bit on glass projects. Software like Vectric’s Vcarve have a few of these built in. InkScape may also have what you need.

You can also look through Google Fonts which has a great number of fonts which are in various degrees of public domain. The fonts below are actually not single stroke, but they are so thin that they may work for your purposes. These have good connection from letter to letter.

2 Likes

Thankyou Seth and Harry. Nice to find someone(s) who understand. I have tried Inkscape but haven’t searched far enough - I will try again. I also came across a couple of instructibles utilising Lilliput putty so I may change my methodology somewhat. This is one of my hand routed boards demonstrating the font I prefer (if the upload worked). PS the answer is look at the punctuation.

Thanks Seth. I have been working (slowly) through learning the ropes but have struck an obstacle. I started using JSCut to generate the G Code. I have followed the instruction (yours ?) from the CNC Forum, but when I click on Generate nothing happens. I figured I had some settings outside JS Cut parameters so have changed any that looked a bit askance with no affect. I am using mm (I am in Australia and don’t remember enough about inches) but your tutorial covers these measurements well. Do you have any suggestion? Pete

It must not have been a guide from me, today was the first time that I’ve ever opened JSCut. . . but from what I see, I would start with very simple designs and work your way from there. It looks like these 3 things make a big difference. the scale aka px per inch, the depth of the cut (if this is 0 then no cut) and the size of the tool (if this is too large it’ll not fit in the selected design)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.