Phil's 2.8w Jtech Laser Journey

What about a red “On Air” light/sign?

1 Like

LOL poor Phil…

Phil, sent PM.

1 Like

This is what it looks like with a co2 laser no clean up required.

Im gonna buy one for my house adventually. The features on the glow forge look cool and by time its actually for sale i should be ready.

1 Like

Damnit I have too many projects to get done already and your making me want to hook my laser back up and play again. I have had it over a year and after about a week of you having yours I have learned more about it than I did in a year without you having one lol. I chalked mine up to a poor investment and not powerful enough to be useful but now I’m starting to think I need to give it another go.

2 Likes

@PhilJohnson try doing low to medium power output with a higher feed and do multiple passes. I have been experimenting with the 3.8 to do just that and have had some luck. I am traveling now but will try and find my old test files. You pretty much just have to do a guess and test to find the sweet spot. Pick a small design so you can repeat it quickly until you find the right combo

1 Like

How fragile is 1/8 basswood compared to 1/8 plywood?

The thread is so long now, sorry if I missed it.

Can the laser be quickly removed when doing regular carving with the mount you designed?

1 Like

Thanks Phil. I can’t resist temptation any more.

I’ve got the 2.8 laser kit, power extension, 11’ Molex and a sheet of shielding in my cart.

Am I missing anything?

1 Like

@PhilJohnson, I will being commissioning my Jtech 2.8W tomorrow and will be using your provided files in the process.
Thank you for all the information and projects you have provided to the forum. I will post the project that justified my laser purchase upon completed; which is a 48 inch by 24 inch sign for a dear family friend, so new laser and tiling are on tap for the am. Again thanks for all you do.

1 Like

Sweet. Looks good Phil. It looks like the focus on that lens is finally treating you right. :smiley:

1 Like

I have the 100w version of that machine. The Ruida controller is nice, and compatible with LightBurn. I’ve been quite happy with it.

2 Likes

Soon - Hopefully before the end of the month.

1 Like

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Tech-40W-CO2-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Cutter/199126297

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Tech-12-x-8-40W-CO2-Laser-Engraving-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-with-Exhaust-Fan-USB-Port/133397810

Speed or power or Both?

Looks great now. What a difference.

What is the clearance between your laser shield and the work surface?

@PhilJohnson finished project just in time for Thanksgiving. Again thanks for all the great information and projects. Laser and VCarve made this project possible in my shop.

9 Likes

@CharlesPhelps What material did you use?