Phil's linear rail Z axis upgrade

Awesome … look forward to seeing how it works out for you …

1 Like

Thats the one. (when you desingn your fixtures) Do some test pieces in MDF to make your plate. Mine was a little off. Also, make your mounting holes a little larger than they need to be to provide a little squaring wiggle room.

1 Like

Ohhhh… very VERY nice indeed :grinning:

1 Like

If that’s the $144 ebay one from Georgia, I bought the same one yesterday afternoon. Can’t wait to see your results!

Dan

1 Like

just here to folow :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Very nice Phil. Can’t wait to see it in action.

1 Like

Do you have a plan of attack on how are you going to mount the purchased Z with the existing X carriage? What will you tap and what will you drill, etc.

I saw what @anon68752607 did here

It’s very clever, but not sure if it’s the approach I will take, as it puts a lot pressure on me to drill and tap those holes in 100% the correct location :cold_sweat: I might opt to bore those out larger and use a longer bolt and use a lock nut.

Mine arrives today, out for delivery now!

Dan

that would be an option, but maybe then reverse the bolts, so you can countersink them into the backplate, because I don’t remembefr having enough space for a locking nut between that plate and the Z carriage.

I used ALL of the holes that lined up so I could choose the four that presented the best squaring. And the TOP TWO, were through the upper flange of the x-carriage to facilitate nuts. Tapping the x-carriage works but there is not much metal there. I also had to cut my bolts down so as not go interfere with the x-carriage stiffening mods.

1 Like

I went with the linear slide with no holes and just milled ones to attach the slide and a new plate to mount the Dewalt.

As a designer, you’ll be horrified by my approach, but I just clamped the z axis to the x-carriage and drilled right through. Hence, the need to find four that sqaure once it is tapped. It worked though!

3 Likes

That would have been good.

1 Like

very interested in the result as I might do the same

1 Like

this from another thread. Just an FYI (the last line is of particular note):

Nice, I bought something similar when upgrading my X-Carve. I made a project log as well Project Log - Franken-Carve - #7 by EricDobroveanu

1 Like

do you have enough space for the “head” of the dewalt ?
be careful to not be in the same situation like in the standard z-axis

1 Like

hooo i didnt notice it was a spacer, i thought i was part of the linear z axis…
and searching in the forum, the head if the dewalt was hitting in the bracket, i thought from memories, the top plate of standard z-axis…

well… eager to see more

1 Like

In my opinion, I don’t think you need the spacer. That is a VERY tall z-axis (if it is the same as mine). Even the longest bit I own would be above the lower part of the carriage assembly BEFORE the top of my router meets that top plate. And the closer your router is to the center of mass on your x axis the better. I guess it is easy enough to try it both ways.

I don’t have a good shot of it, but you can see in this photo how much travel is available before the top of the router gets to that top plate. Plenty.

1 Like

I imagine it’s to mount your Z motor in a similar fashion to stock instead of on top, but I don’t know why he’s always posting pictures with no explanation

3 Likes