Phil's linear rail Z axis upgrade

My new Z shipped out today!

1 Like

Does “Speedy Metals” ship those plates as well? If so, I’d love to order.

Adapter plates to use between the X-Carriage and the Dewalt mount, with proper hole placement.

oh, so you cut the holes yourself?

Did you save the file?

Thanks. It looks like there is no avoiding the facing of my apprehension toward manual application of tools. LOL

1 Like

Phil… I may just write you onto my ballot in November. :smiley:

1 Like

You’d get my vote if you only allowed 1 variant:

2 term (8 year maximum) term qualification for those with at least 8 years service and honorable discharged from Public Service and Armed Forces (non-elected/appointed) positions actually gaining experience at it serving others. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Phil
Great post , following with interest,

You said you bought the 5.75 " rail

Where do you measure this ?
What measurement is this ?

I have the stock Z which is 200 mm/ 8 " long giving me about 85mm travel and I have raised my Y by 30mm giving me 95mm clearance under gantry ,
i need to upgrade now,
i dont want to order the 4.5" from the USA and find it has 4.5" of travel. :slight_smile:

cheers

greg

Here is a plate that worked for my new z-axis. I suggest cutting it out of MDF first and testing the holes. Mine were not exactly 3’ on center like advertised. So this is the adjusted hole spacing. You can ignore the rest with is a matching Makita mount.

MakitaHolder 080516withBackPlate.dxf (28.7 KB)

1 Like

That makes a ton of sense. Thanks a ton!

1 Like

thanks

great drawing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well my upgrade kit arrived , and so did my new Z axis. Looks like it’s time for another tear down. How important is the back plate you made @PhilJohnson. Anything you would change now that you’ve had it up and running?

1 Like

Well then I guess it’s time to buy some aluminum and scroll to the top and start reading. Thank’s Phil.

1 Like

Starting my upgrade finally, next week. What size bolts ended up going in to the Z-axis?

Ebay does not have the same rail. Only the 5.5 is available.
I am looking at getting one but before I do I need to know if it will work and how much I have to do to modify it. I do not have a drill press and other tools like the rest of you guys.

Yea yea I get it.
Only my x-carve is far from working good.
I had to remove the mod that stiffened and its back to Z errors again. :frowning:
I will be getting the new X rail soon but I may have to put all on hold as I am still looking to get a house with a garage.

1 Like

I feel bad asking in this thread, but because you mentioned it, how do I know when to change the brushes? I’ve never done it before, and while it sounds like an easy process, I don’t even know when to do it. Any advice?

1 Like

With a harbor freight caliper or good ruler, a center punch, and a counter sink bit along with a hand drill with a good measure of care and patience, you can make the adapter plate to mount your router or spindle with out a drill press. plus these tools are good to have in your box for general use in the future.

The key is careful layout of the holes to be drilled. If you can swing the 60 bucks or so for a HF drill press, it will serve you pretty well for this and for some time after in occasional use. I had one for 15 plus years before I upgraded and gave it to a friend who still uses it.

1 Like

Just removed the Z axis stiffening mod. Made the play go away.
Just when I thought all was well my Gshield goes bad. :confused:
I will have to order a new one. I am going to see if they can expedite it. otherwise I am going to hold off on everything till after I get a new place.