Phil's linear rail Z axis upgrade

All said and done whats the bottom cost (without x lift) in time and $$ for the linear z? And How stiff and accurate vs Original design?

And time total? Approx!

Well My entire machine is as squared as it will get.
Thanks Phil.

1 Like

Hey all, I’m expecting the same linear Z in the mail in the next few days. I was planning on mounting it directly as you have @PhilJohnson but neglected to think about organising some spacers. Could you point me in the right direction? Is there any other hardware required I won’t already have?

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. My bad, I did read the whole thread before asking. I actually meant the spacers between your stepper motor and the rail where you’ve mounted it directly rather than using belts. Sorry for the confusion.

I know it’s probably up there in this mile long post but I couldn’t find it. So I’ll ask. How much lift do you get with your plates?

Ah the video!! I knew I had read/heard it somewhere. I couldn’t find it. Thanks.

1 Like

Perfect. Thanks Phil!

I spent a few hours double checking all my measurements and marks before drilling the x gantry but here it is almost ready to put back on. Need to get a couple new bolts and glue the back part of the dust shoe to the sides.

Thanks for all the initial work Phil made following your pics easy.

Jer

3 Likes

Looks good. I just finished mine up this morning.

1 Like

I already have your gantry plates installed and tested, I installed them and used them with my other Z-axis.

I am planning on connecting it to a 4" dust collector hose so I’ll keep the offset in mind while I work on it tonight.

Thanks!

1 Like

I did have a problem with one of my two units. The set screws on the brass coupler came loose (or it may have been the black stop bearing). Whatever the case, I removed them and applied blue lock tite to both. Might be a good idea if it is still off the machine.

2 Likes

@Earwigger
Thanks for the heads up!!

I havent had an issue yet but now it’s on my to do list. thanks!

So that I am clear, prior to trying to order from Speedy Metals,

What are the exact dimensions and material used for your plate? I’m not trying to to be lazy in searching the tread, I just want to try to centralize all of the dimensions if possible, so that I do not mis-order. Thanks in advance, Phil.

#NOOBpride

I downloaded the diagram, but I am not very familiar with diagrams yet. I was wondering if you may be so kind as to provide me the thickness, width, length, and material type so that I may order and learn as I go. :smiley:

The adapter plate for the Z axis.

Holy crap, they sell 4’ sheets?

The shipping on that may be a bit impactful on me.

Whew… my wallet began to grimace.

Thanks so much for the guidance phil.

1 Like