Phil's New Waste Board

But the real question is how much does the broken tap weigh?

I just tried using Alum to dissolve a tap last week. Left it in the solution for three days and there was very little progress if any. I did scrape the surface to expose fresh metal on the tap a few times. Not sure why it didn’t work for me.

After breaking off a tap in a nearly finished part last week, I learned that better quality taps are much less likely to snap that are the cheap ones.

Anyone know what brand of taps are tough yet not crazy expensive?

1 Like

Throw away the WD40 when tapping aluminum. This is the ONLY stuff to use. :smile:

2 Likes

Fuming nitric acid is often claimed as the solutionto tap removal in aluminium but result seem to vary from partial success to complete failure. Not something most of us have just lying around.

alum and boiling water seems to work but is not for the impatient :grinning:

You really need access to one of these.

Yeah 3:34 am and I finally see that now lol oops.

1 Like

What are the three rows of holes for? A lower layer of supports for the aluminum sheet? And I’ll guess that your mistake was putting the T slot too close to the frame fastening holes in the bottom corners.

“shift”?

It’s worse than scrap metal. At least scrap metal has the potential to one day become something useful.

1 Like

So cool man. That tap is a butt pain though. I busted a bit off drilling a safe the other day. Pain in the cheeks. I got nothing of value to input, just think your project is coooo.

-p

1 Like

The red looks cool. Almost like racing stripes. I also like the bottom.

1 Like

Slick

1 Like

Good luck on your quest, Zach be with you.

1 Like

Looks awesome Phil, love the bump stop!

1 Like

Awesome, wanted to add t slots to my machine was trying to figure best way to do it. Now I have a good idea.[quote=“PhilJohnson, post:82, topic:23381, full:true”]
@Mike

I’m thinking of trying to preserve this a bit and I’ll put pieces of underlayment under each part I cut. It’s 1/8" thick plywood that’s $5 for a 4ft x 8ft sheet. I’m thinking that I should level the waste board surface eventually with my 3/4" bit.
[/quote]

1 Like

This looks excellent!

Great job Phil.

1 Like

Beautiful work Phil! Can you explain how the bumpstop works? It looks like an awesome idea.

1 Like

Phil what type of rails are those? I tried to located them at Home Depot and Amazon but could not find them. Unfortunately there is no Menards around here.

Thank you so much Phil. I really like your design of the waste board.

Is there anything that you would have changed, now that you’ve had some time to use it?

1 Like

Currently looking at the Incra T-Track. They appear to be predrilled and use #8 screws instead of the traditional #6 screws. Reviews look very good. You can check them out here;

http://www.amazon.com/Incra-TTRACKREG36-36-Inch-T-Track-Regular/dp/B0000DD5EY?ie=UTF8&colid=PGSUE0OBLM5X&coliid=IOZDE3B7SWYMR&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

THANKS for your help and recommendations Phil :thumbsup:

1 Like