Phil's random vcarve posts (phil's projects)

On the rustic camping signs, I’ve had really good luck on similar projects by torching the edges, brush off loose char and clear coat to seal it in. It’s a perfect tone match to the lased parts since they’re both burned wood and no painting. This is how I do a lot of my pirate-themed stuff.

2 Likes

Merry Christmas Phil.

1 Like

Can I see a screenshot of your roughing and finish settings? I’m just curious.

Love!!!

1 Like

You just got me curious if you ever see a situation where you might do the laser engraving first and have it mark a dot which you would then use as the origin for a carve?

I was thinking maybe for multiple pieces in one piece of stock, but not sure if it becomes helpful even then.

Ok Phil, I was just looking at your website and all the 3D models you’ve created, and I wondered if you considered a Patreon page. You could give supporters, depending on their level of support, free access to some of your for-sale 3d models.

There are several I want to buy, but I know you’re just going to create more next week that I want, and I have very little control. :slight_smile: So a patreon supporter option, that got me “carte blanche” access to models would be better for me…

I think thats a great idea Phil - just make the lowest cost of the Patreon the sum of all your to date models - :wink:

you missed what he was saying Phil. He pays you $$ by being a Patreon supporter. So he is paying for the files

its all good… you cant be perfect at everything

1 Like

Right, you setup a Patreon page, and it’s like a Kickstarter. Different tiers. $25, $50, $100 etc…

then you offer discounts to Patreon supporters, and maybe a few free models for signing up.

This way you still get $$ for your models, and I get to support you making more but also get discounts because I’m supporting your efforts …

1 Like

NO!!! :slight_smile: not asking for free models, you are doing a TON for the forums, just seeing if there’s some way I can support you, get a good deal, and get you more exposure via Patreon. Everybody wins!

2 Likes

I think with Patreon you can setup a location for your files as well. I’ve had a PC go belly up and lose a ton.

in fact, I bought those Russian STLs from eBay, then had that HardDrive die and the link was already expired so I’m SOL…

Backups are your friend :slight_smile:

1 Like

also important to note I am in NO way affiliated with Patreon, I don’t even have a page of my own. Just really like the fact that it supports the maker community.

2 Likes

how did you stretch the text inside of the egg?

Thanks @PhilJohnson, among other things I’m itching to make that giant ship battle set …

1 Like

Definitely going to have to grab that sign package once I get my machine back up and running :slight_smile:

1 Like

What dimensions and the estimated machine time?
3D sign is awesome but how do you price with such extended machine time? I’ve done very little 3D due to long machine time, your thoughts please.

Hey Phil, Can the 3D STLs be imported into Easel or just Vcarve?

Never mind, I just realized they are STLs not SVGs…

1 Like

I didnt know you were my Son-In Law. My granddaughter’s name is Mia and she turned 3.

1 Like