(possible) paint new masking product I've been testing (new to me anyways)

I found a local supplier of Valspar 2nd Skin spray on peel off rubber coating, same product that makes plasticoat, but this stuff is meant to be a spray on painting mask that peels off.

I have tried a couple different oramask products and I’m not personally a fan, it doesn’t always seem to adhere properly for me and the finer detail the carve the more little edges seem to peel up on me.

so my process was this,

I painted a pieces of scrap mishshapen MDF with acrylic black paint, then applied 4 coats of Shellac, let the final coat dry completely, then applied 4 coats of the 2nd skin, following the cans instructions to the letter for dry times. Let it dry over night. Then ran a test carve. small font, fine details, circles triangles etc.

I then sprayed the carved areas with enamel spray paint, let it dry a couple hours, then peeled off the rubber coating and along with it, all the over spray.

There were a couple areas that I cleaned up with mineral spirits, and then clear coated

The pics show that the lines between the black and pink are super clean, I’ve simply peeled up the rubber coating and gave it a quick wipe down.

(disclaimer: this worked for me in the method I described, If this process messes up your project, do your own research and test drive it yourself before using it on something of value.)

6 Likes

Interesting. I have never heard of this i might need to check it out.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Lance… i am hoping to test it soon as well.

Looks like it works :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve never heard of that approach before. Is the pink area the spray on paint mask?

Looks like a competitive product to Plasti Dip.

Yes, after the 2nd skin rubber coating cured, I sprayed pink spray paint over the project to color the the carved areas.then peeled the coating back once the paint fully dried

I wanted contrasting colors (black base color and pink carve area) so that it would would be immediatly apparent if any of the rubber coating had torn away during carving. I chose different depths shape sizes and shapes them selves to what level carving of carving detail i could acheive without the rubber coating tearing or peeling, which would then tell me the limits of this product for my needs.

1 Like

Was there any noticeable difference in the way the bit came in contact with the masking? Did it chip it away, peel it back?

This is a very interesting approach. Thanks for testing and sharing.

No there was no bit deflection, no issue with more shallow cuts due to adding this product on the material… no peel up or tear away either.

It cut though the product like butter, or…rubber rather lol.

3 Likes

Looks like that was all Vbit cut. Have you tested it with straight(upcut/downcut, etc) bits?

No not yet. Sorry

Hey Lance,

Thanks for testing this stuff out! From your opinion do you think that after the rubber has dried you could use a hand held router over this stuff? Do you think that the router would pull this up when moving over the surface or is it pretty smooth (not sticky or tacky) once dried?

Thanks!

Do you think the shellac was a necessary step?