Posting Easel Projects of Copyrighted Plans

Hey folks,

I’m getting ready to embark on my long-awaited CNC journey. A couple of the projects I’m planning to make are from DXF or PDF files or paper plans that I’ve purchased.

My dilemma is that if I generate an Easel project from them and post them here, that will be giving away their intellectual property. I want to do this the right way to protect their property, but also be able to share my project with the community.

Please advise on the best way to handle this. I wanted to ask the question here before I asked the property owners, possibly making them nervous about my intent.

Since these projects consist of multiple parts, could I just share the process of making one part, and include a link to where they can purchase the entire project from the rightful owners? That way, I can still share the project and protect the owner.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

You should put this in the easel category and ask for a creative commons type option like thingiverse has.

You can post your project without including an Easel link (I think). This way, I think, you would be alright.

Interesting. I hadn’t heard about the Creative Commons license.

According to the rules for the $100 gift card and Tip Jar, I need to post a link to an Easel project.

Thanks,

Chris

You wouldn’t be able to fulfill the requirements for the 100 for 100 offer without giving away intellectual property if you post “paid for” vectors.

I don’t know about Intellectual Property rights, but with patents you only have to change the design by a certain percentage to avoid patent infringement. Maybe the IP rules are similar.

I just received written permission from Clayton Boyer to use a part of the Simplicity clock design to illustrate the process. He thinks the accompanying video will be helpful for his other customers.

Yeah!

Chris

I just received written permission from Phil Barley to use a part from his Adirondack Beach Chair plans. He wants me to do a video of the process to drive more customers to his Etsy site: The Barley Harvest (TheBarleyHarvest - Etsy).

Chris

Lets just be clear. There is no such thing as Intellectual Property rights. This is a term cooked up and misused by most everyone. IP refers to Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks and anything else anyone wants to use the term for.

Hey Scott,

I’m certainly no lawyer, so please excuse my layman’s terminology. I’m just trying to protect the guys who have done all the hard work doing the designing, yet still be able to make their stuff while documenting the process. I would hope someone will do the same for the stuff I design.

Thanks,

Chris

I just received permission from John Harris with Chesapeake Light Craft to use his plans for a boat-shaped cradle/coffee table! I’ve actually already built the full-scale version and sail it on Green Lake in Seattle every weekend.

Chris

You have a boat-shaped coffee table that you sail on the weekends?

Ha!

Actually, yes. The full-sized 8 footer sails nicely. I will be building the 4 footer for the living room. My decor is so nautical that the maintenance guy once said he got seasick when he walked into my apartment…

Chris

Sorry for the delay in reply. Whew! Glad to hear your not a lawyer. Me either.
There is no need for you needing to be excused, I was not intending to be disrespectful.
Just trying to point out that this is a much overused term that really has no place in use since we already have terms for specific types intellectual protection, be it patents, copyright or trademarks.

I used to be a Technical Point of Contact on various Small Business Innovative Research contracts as well as the POC on some Creative Research and Development Agreements and really got tired of folks (especially lawyers) using/abusing the term. I too am in favor of protecting people’s hard work but feel that the patent, copyright and trademark system is way overdue for reform but that will have to wait for a congress and senate that is smart enough to do the right thing (real pie in the sky stuff since we have the best elected national (and state) government officials that money can buy).

TheBarleyHarvest link is interesting by the way and not over priced on his plans.

V/R
Scott.

I may have to make at least one Adirondack chair with a band saw (the old-fashioned way) so that it’ll be ready in time for my vacation, but I think it would make an interesting video to compare/contrast making the second one with the X-Carve. Hmmm…

Chris