Practical inlay question

I used the inlay app to try how it works, and it worked excellently! Since I took a map of New York Long Island broke off, but Long Island always has issues with staying on cut outs. :slightly_smiling_face:

Now I placed the inlay into the base, and it matches nicely. Still there is a minimal space between both. I am afraid if I reduce the space in the settings still there will be a small space always.

Any ideas how that can be filled? Glue with router dust of the same wood? Since I intend to do cutting boards any epoxy would not be an option. So how this would be done generally? Even the old masters must have had a trick.

Take some waterproof wood glue and mix it with the dust from the cut. put it between them and hope for the best. After it dries you cantake the same mixture and use it in any cracks you may have and it works pretty good. I used it with a walnut inlay and when it was done

1 Like

TY! Will try!

1 Like

I mean that’s somewhat realistic anyway… if it broke off, traffic on the LIE would suck way less!

:rofl:

When I was in medical school, our main teaching hospital was a Bellevue (26th and 1st) and during your internal medicine clerkship you had to do 5-weeks at Bellevue and 5-weeks not-at-Bellevue. I got randomly assigned to North-ashore-LIJ (now north well health) which meant 7-days-a-week I had to get from midtown Manhattan out there. God I hated that commute! My classmates mostly got NYU a medical Center (30th and 1st). When you had to be in house at 6:30 am that was a long commute (and crazily even off-hours on a weekend it still sucked), that being said north shore was a great place, and the staff were really kind to us students, the nurses were gentle with us and everyone there taught a lot (it was quite a revelation seeing private-healthcare at work - “wait, you mean you order something and it just happens???) as a student at Bellevue you quickly learned how to do everything yourself, by 4th year I could run almost every analyzer on the central lab, because you’d often run some stat lab down there and you’d come into the lab and nobody was there (breaks?), so your resident would eat you alive if you didn’t come back with a result, so you learned to run it yourself. You’d be sticking the blood into the blood gas analyzer and the dude would come in and go “hey, what are you doing?” “Well, nobody was here so I needed to run it myself” “[shrug] OK” it was a very different time in medicine; you’d probably get fired for doing that today (I am not a CLIa certified technician), but back then almost anything was ok.