Problems with getting my laser going

it says the file is to big

it just freezes now and doesn’t do anything

Where does it say the file is too big? I notice your using the wrong engraving profile in PicEngrave Pro 5 for grbl. The 3D Laser profile is for 3D printer controllers that use the M106 Sxxx & M107 commands and I’m sure that is what locked up grbl. Read through the PEP5 Tutorial for the proper grbl settings.

to upload the file to here so you can look at it. the piclaser file does the same

in pep5 what one do I use for the jtech laser

You used the J-Tech 3D engraving profile in PicLaser which is for 3D printer controllers. Same reason it locked up grbl. In PL use the GRBL profile and in PEP5 use the Analog/PWM profile. You also set the feedrate to 1000 inches a minute.

it still locks up when I use the grbl profile in pic laser

ok so I got the pep5 to work however it made a box and then jacked the zaxis as high as it can go until it ran our of room and starting grinding

Why are you still using the M106 Sxxx & M107 3D printer controller commands?? You did not set the Start and End Comment Characters either. Read the Tutorials for recommended grbl settings!! In PicLaser, it’s in the Help menu. In PEP5, the Tutorial button appears after loading an image.

I’m sorry with the pep 5 the z and the y are switched from what I see here

with the pep 5 I went to the analog and changed all the settings over and copied what was in the tutorial

Z as a 3rd Axis Letter is for spindle engraving. Change it to a S for laser power. Unselect the Laser Edge and set the feedrate to 80 instead of 1000.

1 Like

Alright so here’s what I got so far thank you SOOOOO much for helping out by the way

Any Tips On making It darker and better to read?

Try engraving at a 45D Left or Right angle and select the Feed Rate Change feature in PEP5. Set it at 25%. The image editing has an effect also, so darken it some with gamma. These settings require a trial & error period with your engraved material.

1 Like

Ok I’ll play with it some more. If I buy the programs are you the one that gives the codes out

How do i find a 45 degree angle or do I angle the laser?

Yes, I am the www.picengrave.com gate key keeper. :smile:

2 Likes

Awesome I’m looking into buying it here shortly. Do I just leaver the laser alone when I select the 45d

The 45D angle selection is in the Engraving Angle menu at the top in the settings screen. Make sure there is only one angle selected at a time.

The J-Tech laser lens does not focus to quite a round spot, but try just changing the engraving angle to either Left 45 or Right 45 and see how each one engraves.

1 Like

What’s the difference between pic laser and pep5?