Projects? What do you want to make with your X-Carve?

There has been a lot of discussion on the specifications of the machine and the technical details. I thought it would be cool to start a thread about projects. What kinds of projects are you interested in making? Feel free to share photos, Easel links, or just some dreams.

1 Like

I have about a dozen or so ideas and have been considering starting a youtube channel with bi-weekly videos about hobby cnc and woodworking.

So many ideas!

This time of waiting for the X-Carve just means that there is more time to build up a projects list.

I’ll probably start with making some boxes for different purposes just to get the hang of the machine.

Eventually though, I plan on doing quite a bit:
• 2.5D carving for Jewelry prototypes (my main job)
• V-Carving in linoleum for block printing
• cutting upgrades for the machine itself
• using the machine to replace tools in the shop like a drill press or joint sled or even table saw
• Cutting molds for casting
• making toys out of wood

The list goes on… :wink:

2 Likes

Boxes like this one?

1 Like

for inlay work on different projects and to make plaques

Molds would be nice, right now I am focusing on building a CNC lathe once I assemble my machine.

1 Like

Yep @Zach_Kaplan , something like that. Also Apple Boxes for my studio like these: http://www.appleboxes.net

I also like the looks of a box like this: http://beta.cnc.gallery/general-storage/99-spring-joint-box.html

I like that it shows the potential of CNC wile still being pretty and functional.

1 Like

As a graphic designer, looking at milling Logos & Typography mostly.
Here are some recent logos I’ve created that will be first in line.

2 Likes

@pike_lake These look awesome. They would make really cool inlays with some small tweaks. You should check out this inlay video if you haven’t already.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

for inlay I am hoping something like this is possible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl2PQQsVo5Y

2 Likes

Letter press fonts, custom embossing for cards. Need to make up some wedding invitations for next year and this is the only way I get approval from the girlfriend to buy it. She has to get something out of it… Meh I’m up for trying anything. :slight_smile:

Still curious on the below base carving. Would love to see what work would be involved in modding the machine if need be to be able to make inlays in hardwood floors. :slight_smile:

1 Like

To start with, modification of metal parts for a computer case mod, some sign or plaque engraving. Eventually want to try 3d carving, maybe topological landscapes or bas relief sculpture in wood.

I know it’s overkill, but my main reason for wanting a desktop CNC is for making PCBs.

Making the wedding invites from scratch is a big win. People won’t believe that you got involved in the planning. I did the same for mine and people still don’t believe it sometimes.

Good on ya.

1 Like

Oooo, nice video and thank you! The inlaying looks like a snap. I’ve been digging up more xcarve videos on IG as well.
Here are pics of the recently finished table for the X-carve.

2 Likes

That looks pretty awesome!

1 Like

Nice job! Im hoping to put mine together tomorrow and then I’ll upload some pictures. Also your graphic designs look really great.

1 Like

I actually made some “Save the Date” cards carving linoleum. I used a drawing that my soon-to-be wife made by hand, scanned and vectorized it and carved it.

Here is the original drawing:

Then I vectorized and thickened up the lines a bit:

After carving it, here is the little assembly line we had set up on our kitchen table for a weekend making about a hundred of them:

The yellow powder in the photo is “embossing powder” which is a powder that sticks to the ink and then melts when you hit it with the heat gun (white thing at the top left). It melts together creating a raised surface.

I’ve been trying to figure out ways to get more fine detail and an easier stamp process (linoleum has no “give” to it, so you need to really slam it into the paper to get an even transfer). Rubber would be the obvious choice, but I’d either have to cast the rubber into a mold (can you cast rubber?!) or make a metal mold, heat it up and vulcanize a sheet of rubber on top of it under heat and pressure. I’m a bit afraid of either of those options.

But it was a seriously fun project to do with my fiance because it combined her talents (real-life art) and my talents (digital fabrication). Definitely would recommend just for the fun-factor.

7 Likes

Here is the home for my new X-Carve

7 Likes

That set up looks awesome. Did you build that?

1 Like