Pros and Cons of different Programs

Allen, I had similar issue with 1.8, I installed Jawa for 32 bit. It started to work. I think UGS is 32 bit application.

I just skipped UGS 1.0.8 and went straight to 2.0 and it loaded with no problem.

1 Like

How did you find it. I can’t find. Do you have link.

Here it is

http://bit.ly/1vIcB9E

Link didn’t work.

Ignore, worked. :slight_smile:

Does v-carve have its own G-code or do I have to get one and if I do? What one works well with x-carve?

The Vcarve program will generate the tool path and then allow you to create and save the resulting gcode. In order to generate gcode that will work perfectly with the X-Carve/Grbl there are a set of post processor (one for mm and one for inch units). These post processors are just small text files you can download from Inventables and copy to the Vcarve software directory on the computer you use to run Vcarve.

Once you have copied the post processor files into the correct directory you never need to worry about them again, just design your project, create the tool paths and then save the gocde.

Once you have saved the gcode, you will need a way to send that gcode to your X-Carve. There are several software options, two popular options are “Universal Gcode Sender” (UGS) and “Chillipepper”. Either of those will work very well.

1 Like

Thank you ever so much for all the info. I have ordered the x-carve 1000mm and have about 3 weeks more to wait. In the mean time, I plan to watch tutorials on the v-carve. One other question… Do you think I should get v-carve desktop or pro?

That is a very good question.

The desktop version will do about 95% of what the pro version will do with one big difference. The desktop version is limited to only allowing designs less than 24x24 inches. So with the big X-Carve the desktop version will not let you use the full size of your machine.

But the good news is that the fine folks at Vectric will allow you to upgrade from the desktop version to the pro version for just the original price difference.

So you really have nothing to lose if you want to purchase the desktop version first and see how it works for you. If you find it is as useful as I have and you want to carve larger objects then you can upgrade later and not spend any more than you would have if you bought the pro version first.

The user interface for both products is exactly the same so once you learn to use the desktop version you will also know how to use the pro version.

Thanks again and I’m looking forward to seeing some of your projects posted on here.

Most of my projects that go past 24"x24" are made up of multiple small parts, and can be broken down into multiple runs. I’d start with Desktop unless you know you’re going to be using the >24" <31" range of space.

Do I dare ask??? What OS are you using??? Please say Apple Mac!!! If not, do you know what g-code software might work on Mac?

After looking at a bunch of different options and trying Fusion 360(huge learning curve), I just pulled the trigger and ordered Vcarve Pro because it looks like I will be able to get up and running fairly quickly.

I am using Windows. I have no idea about what software you need for an Apple. Just guessing I would think that Chillipepper would work since it is browser based.

I just ordered V-Carve Pro. When do download it and where do I get Chillipepper?

1 Like

Start with universal gcode sender 2.0. It is much easier to install and use. ( just my opinion)

You can download the software directly from the Vectric site. They will email you the key

The new UGS seems to be running very well. Chilipeppr can be found at ChiliPeppr - Hardware Fiddle

I’m Jeff from picengrave dot com. When looking for a reliable gcode streamer for your X-Carve, consider our PicSender program. It can be run with Windows XP through to Windows 10.

1 Like

I just loaded the demo, and I can connect, but can’t move any axes.