PSA: Don't forget to tighten your collet after changing bits

This is what can happen if you only finger-tighten a bit into the Dewalt 611. It took less than 6 seconds to reach the e-stop; this damage happened fast.

I was using a 1/4 inch carbide bit and blue tape/CA glue as a hold down. The bit slipped down and bit too deeply, causing the tape to release from the wasteboard.

The work piece rode up the bit and struck the Suck-It dust boot mount, shattering it. Luckily I did not have the boot in place for this cut. The oscillations also shattered two of my v-wheels on the z-axis.

Splinters and broken chunks of wood and plastic went everywhere. I was wearing a full face shield, and was leaning over watching the cut when everything went pear-shaped. Quite a bit of debris hit the shield.

My x-carve is going to be out of commission for a while. Better the machine than me!

One good thing came out of this… I can now cross-section this inlay and see how well the pieces are mating.

3 Likes

Props on finding the silver lining

2 Likes

is that wenge?

always sad to see a nice piece of wood get degraded to the scrap bin

Wow… Glad you are ok. That could have been real bad.

1 Like

yes, it is wenge/paduk.

I have extra material stocked in case of mishaps, but I only anticipated damage to my stock, not the x-carve itself. All is well though, I’ll just use this as an excuse to upgrade to a linear z-axis :smiley:

1 Like