Question about XY Zero

I’ve got a Z probe but when I’m told to XY zero do I need to lower the bit to the XY point I want?

1 Like

simple answer. No.

1 Like

As @JeremiahRatledge said, the simple answer is indeed a “No”.

However, with that said, I personally do.
It’s hard (atleast for me) to determine the X/Y while the Z is up high. However, once you set your Z depth with the probe, you can have the Z at any height while doing your origin.

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

I tend to start all jobs at the x/y home position. I home the machine, then I can jog out to my material for z probing, then jog back to machine home to set X/Y. This has produced the best results for me. This way Im not trying to figure out where my x/y is with the bit up in the air. I all ready know where x/y is going to be. I know this doesnt work for everyone. I do all modeling and tool path creation with fusion 360 and use easel as just a g code sender basically.

1 Like

So “need”, no, easier “yes”. So what I do generally is to jog to the origin (in general off the work in the scrap area. I actually set x-y home and then actually manually jog down to drill a hole into the material. God forbid something happens and I need to re-establish my origin again I can jog it back into that hole and know mechanically I am back at the origin regardless of why my machine remembers. And it is incredibly hard to determine your actual x-y when the tip of the tool is way above the stock in Z so I normally bring it down a few mm above the surface (on my Tormach since I have a 3-axis probe I don’t need to worry about that since I am probing to find the origin in x-y, but since the x-carve by default only has z you want to way to reliably get your x-y set.

1 Like

Great idea! Thanks.

I’d add if you will be milling away the stock where your origin is, it makes sense to use an off-piece origin piece (just remember the offset in your design) so that it is available as required for re-zeroing

2 Likes