I’ve been enjoying the new v-caring features of Easel Pro. However, the toolpaths it makes seem really unoptimized. Maybe that code is still WIP, but it’s worth calling out. I’ve see this same behavior on multiple cuts. I’ll explain what is happening below.
I was recently commissioned to make the below sign. All and all it turned out fine:
And here are the toolpaths from Easel, which look normal at a glance:
I did the rough cut with a 1/4" endmill, and the finish pass with a 60 deg v-bit.
The rough cut went fine, nothing out of the ordinary.
Here are the issues I saw happening with the finish pass, with the V-bit:
- As you can see, there is a (1/8") pocket that defines the outer frame (made during the rough cut): When the v-bit went to chamfer that edge, it did it 4(?) separate times. Not 4 times in a row: It would cut it once, do a bunch of other work, then do it again, etc.
- Every letter’s outline was traced 4(?)s times in a row before any actual cutting happened deeper into the stock.
I put a question mark after ‘4’ since I think that’s how many times it repeated itself. Could have been ±1.
My guess is this: Since there was a pocket made in the rough cut, the v-bit algorithm had a malfunction: Rather than stepping down into the pocket and doing all the cutting needed, it instead repeated the same toolpath over and over as if it was stepping down, presuming there was no rough cut. However, the funny thing was, it was stepping into the pocket, and then just tracing the same toolpath border (on the outer edge, and the outline of each letter) over and over 4(?)x in a row without ever actually descending further into the stock.
Then, it finally started cutting down into the stock to give me the finished product you see.
Safe to say, I found the whole process unerving… I couldn’t figure out why it just kept repeating the same moves over and over…
Again, my guess is this has something to do with the pocket cut during the rough: I’ve done other cuts where the v-cut wasn’t in a pocket, and it behaved ‘normally’.
The other issue was, none of the letters were cut sequentially in the finish pass. It would cut one letter, travel (really slowly for some reason) to another (seemingly as far away as possible), then would arbitrarily jump to another. This was painful to watch.
The bulk of the time on this finish pass was mainly traveling arbitrarily (and slowly) around the cut, and then making 4x cuts in a row that it shouldn’t have.
Again, enjoy the V-carving feature (can do this in Fusion360, but it can happen a lot faster in Easel), but the finish pass easily took 2-3x as long as it should with all the above-mentioned issue.
I’m happy to share this project with the devs if it would help.