Quick Change Chucks for X-Carve Pro

Does anyone know of a quick change chuck for the X-Carve Pro?

I discovered a source that makes quick change clucks for many models of routers and the owner of the company( Musclechucks.com), Joe DeRosa, says he can produce a chuck for my X-Carve Pro if there is enough interest from other owners or Inventables. This chuck literally only takes seconds to change a bit, using only a T handle Allen wrench. Watch their videos on their website if you don’t believe me. I have zero interest in the company but do have one of their chucks on my router table and would love one for my X-Carve Pro. Please let me know if you might be interest for one for your machine too.

1 Like

I would really like to see that. Face it, who really likes changing bits .

2 Likes

Then we have to lobby Inventables to collaborate with DeRosa Engineering or poll other owners to indicate their desire to purchase for their machines when available. Did you watch the videos at Musclechuck.com? I think you will be impressed.

1 Like

This isn’t the first time this has come up…I don’t think there’s as much interest as you do.

2 Likes

You may be correct but I can’t understand why something that speeds up the overall process isn’t more readily adopted by those who are trying to make either a living or extra money. As an engineer who has saved companies millions through process improvement I saw the time savings immediately. Any idea why more woodworkers aren’t interested? Appreciate response’s. Thanks

My guess would be that woodworkers are generally pretty adept at changing cutters in a trim router. Time savings wouldn’t be that significant.
I see this more as an adaptive/assistive technology.
Real time savers in CNC routing come from ATCs, innovative work holding solutions, and improvements in CAD & CAM programs.

1 Like

I am BRAND NEW to CNC and XCarve Pro, so I cannot say whether or not I would be interested. I watched the videos, and I’m intrigued. I WANT ONE if it can be adapted to my Robland X-31 mortising attachment (I wrote the company to inquire), but have no idea if it would be of practical use for me for the XCarve Pro as I have not had a change to get much experience changing bits yet to see if this is a sticking point for me, and/or if I believe that it would save enough time to justify the purchase (they are not cheap.
That said, I’m really glad that you mentioned it, I will be keeping it in mind, and thinking about as I gain experience, so Thank you Joseph

Joe

1 Like

There is now an answer to my question. Musclechuck.com just posted on their website they have chucks for both the Mikita router for the x-carve and the spindle for the x-carve pro. Awaiting delivery of my x-carve pro chuck(which accepts 3/8” shaft bits) and collets for the 1/4” and 1/8” shaft bits. Can’t wait to try them out,

1 Like

Accidentally deleted above, just said, let us know how it goes Joseph.

-Jonathan

Got my Musclechuck mounted and works great! You will lose some height on your z-axis and it will be noisier. Make sure you follow their procedure to dial in the chuck to minimize runout. Following this procedure may also reduce noise if the chuck is not properly balanced when first installed. I am very happy with the chuck and changing bits literally takes seconds. Have used it several times and have had no issues.

Anyone else unable to get to the Musclechuck site?
I get this pop-up;

11:12

Safari can’t open the page.

The error was: “Load cannot follow more than 20 redirections”.

AA

musclechuck.com

Try going to Derosa Engineering. This site does that once in a while, sometimes related to updating their website. Just try again later.

Im in. THANKS

Well the Musclechuck for the X-Carve Pro is now in full production and it works great. It’s a little noisy but I can change bits on my X-Carve Pro in seconds. There is a new You Tube video from Garrett Fromme who recently began using the chuck. Others are now purchasing the chuck for their X-Carve Makita or Dewalt machines as well.

1 Like

The ‘it’s a little noisy’ part is worrisome. What exactly do you mean by it being noisier? In theory, a chuck should not alter the sound of the unit, unless air making it whistle while spinning or something.

By noisier, I mean compared to the regular chuck. I wear hearing protection and that negates the extra noise produced by the muscle chuck. Anything at 12 to 25000 RPM is going to be noisy. It is important that if you buy the Musclechuck you follow the instructions exactly to properly set up the Musclechuck, because if you don’t you might get some vibration(and thus noise). I first installed my chuck and didn’t set it up exactly as I should have and got noise, but when I adjusted the chuck per instructions the noise reduced and the machine cut just fine. Hope this helps. If not please contact DeRosa Engineering. P.S. I never measured the decibel levels since the noise wasn’t that extreme.

Any noise beyond the factory default noise of the spindle (i.e. humming or bumble-bee-like noise) is a sign of an unbalance.

This could cause several issues:

1. Excessive runout on the cutting tool.
  2. Premature failure of the spindle bearings.
  3. Voided warranty for your X-Carve Pro.

I would be very wary of adding something to a CNC spindle that is not balanced nearly perfectly. If it causes abnormal noise, it is causing damage.

Just my thoughts…

{:0)

Brandon R. Parker

1 Like

Yes, Yes, YES! Count me in!

Not sure what you mean by “I like it” does that mean you are going to get a muscle chuck? Just curious.