Railroad track artifact

Well, that’s what I call it for lack of a better term.
On end grain there are these mill lines that are nearly impossible to sand away.

Anyone else have these and maybe a cause and solution.

cheers!

I’m looking, but not seeing. Can you circle or point out what you are referring to?

Is that plywood than looking at? It looks like the edge of plywood

1 Like

The yellow layers are plywood.
The brown is 2 layers of poplar. the left layer is smooth the right layer has the vertical(in the pic) lines.

That looks like a tramming issue on your spindle - search Tram Spindle and you should get a bunch of hits and even a how-to youtube video.

I need to get an unfinished pic. It would be clearer.

Thanks! I’ll do that.

I definitely think it’s a tram issue. Make sure your spindle is perpendicular to the table and check all your v wheels to eliminate unwanted movement

1 Like

cut slightly oversized and then do a finishing pass full depth. and square your spindle like others said.

I assumed that was grain or layers of plywood. Is this the same on everything that you cut?

Thnks!

It could also be coming from a dull bit edge/point where the grain is dragged off instead of cut => the dragged area soup up more color than the rest.
Not properly trammed spindle would cause similar artifacts.

But rough pass with steps and full depth finishing pass is a viable method too as xfredericox mention.

Thanks! I have the upgrade kit waiting to be installed. That will be an optimum time to get alignment back to spec.
Roughing/finishing seems to be an easy proposition in VCarve which I don’t have. May need to consider biting that bullet but Easel works very well overall for my purposes.
I’ll do some experimentation as to a method for the oversized approach.
A new bit does minimize the pass lines and I guess I could just cut it oversize to allow for more aggressive sanding.
TRAM-LINES-PORTO
Thanks to all!

It is quite simple in Easel actually:
1 - For outside cuts set the bit diameter slightly larger than actual, say 3,4 for a 3mm bit
2 - Copy the same file to a seperate file and adjust diameter to actual (3mm) and set depth per pass = full depth

For inside/pocket cuts set (1) diameter slightly less than actual.

1 Like

Nice

Those mill lines are actually ridges caused from you z axis not being perfectly at a 90 deg perpendicular to the waste board. The only way to fix this is to first tram you z axis followed by leveling your waste board. There are many videos available on how to perform this process. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks. I will.