Raising and lowering an x-carve from the ceiling or a folding wall table?

Hello,

I am brand new to the x-carve and haven’t yet assembled it. However, I realize it is both large and heavy, but ideally I would like it out of the way when not using it.

Has anyone out there developed a way to hang the x-carve from a ceiling using pulleys or any other methods? Obviously it would need to be secure so it doesn’t fall and hurt someone (or the x-carve itself) but also have enough mechanical advantage to allow a person to relatively easily lift the 100 or so lbs.

Thanks!

I think if you run a search i saw someone a while back that did that. I think he had what you mentioned some rope and pulleys and just lifted it up out of the way.

2 Likes

I used one of these for about 2 years. I was able to store it close to the ceiling above my truck and then when I wanted to use it would would back my truck out and lower the system. I had everything powered with a long enough cord that would coil nicely on the spoil board when it was raised, but then would be out of the way when I lowered the machine to use. I build a torsion box on top of the grid to help with rigidity and had no issues with it at all. I actually ran all of my wires through the box so it looked very neat and clean. If you put it up/down a lot, I also purchased a fitting to go in my battery powered drill that would operate the lift so I didn’t have to hand crank it the whole way.

https://www.amazon.com/Racor-PHL-1R-HeavyLift-4-Foot-Cable-Lifted/dp/B0009I8AO6/ref=asc_df_B0009I8AO6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167146980943&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13682673024819565276&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017902&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-273151882929&psc=1

I’ll have to see if I can find any pictures of my setup. But to answer your questions…YES! it can be done and was very helpful for the multi-use space.

1 Like

Thanks @JoshuaBlom for these thoughts. I did some other research and found this was a good option as well. As it turns out, I re-evaluated my situation and actually a wall fold down table may actually work better for me for now but if I ever go back to a ceiling mount, this definitely seems to be the way to go…

For those who have done a fold-down table, such as this: The Carmichael Workshop: Make a Fold-Up Work Table any ideas on how to best secure the x-carve to the folding table? My thought is that I’ll just drill down through the side board into the table on the left side and I guess do something from the underside of the table up into some M5 t-slot nuts on the right, but definitely open to any other ideas that have worked for others out there.

Thanks!