Reaming the Makerslide holes?

I have a rachet so I’ll be fine and a buff wife :wink:

1 Like

P lease post pictures of the ratchet. :stuck_out_tongue:

Apparently All I Need Is This Guy To Come Build It For Me!!!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ahh, that’s what the drill bit is for.

Managed to get all my self tappers in without reaming. Drop of light oil on each screw, got them started by hand then power drove them in 1/4 way, out again, then back in to 1/2 way, back out again then final time once plate etc. was in position.

If you choose a power driver, take your time. They get very hot if driven too fast and would worry about shearing a head.

Total build time so far, 6.5 hours. Just electronics and tuning section to go in the morning then should be good to go.

Cheers

Ian

The tape drill size for 5mm tap is 4.2mm. Looking at a drawing of the makerslide the holes are 4.2mm
If you are worried about the self tapping screws go buy a 2 flute spiral point 5mm tap and tap them with that.

I buy my WD40 by the gallon.

Dave

I second using a tap and die set. Tapped mine and they went in perfect. No stressing about ruining the makerslide.

For what it’s worth, I used a teeny tiny dab of LPS Tapmatic on all of my Makerslide screws and they went right in by hand with only a little bit of “oomph”. If they had been harder to drive in, I might have tried to find my metric tap set (has anyone seen it, by the way?), but they really didn’t cause me any trouble. I think any kind of light oil/cutting fluid will do the trick, judging from other folks’ experiences.