Recent Horse Farm Sign Project

My first attempt at a large, multi-part sign! I’m not entirely happy with it, but you have to start somewhere. My customer seems happy, so all good.

Gimp for Graphics->Illustrator for Vectors->Easel. 2 coats of poly around the stained sections, so I could wipe clean as I applied the color. The horse graphic was provided, I did the rest. Took a surprisingly long time to plan, design and execute, whew!

17 Likes

Thanks! Trying to work towards a small time sign business; I did this one, and I’m currently doing another (thankfully smaller, but 2-sided) sign for business owners that are family friends, just charging them for materials, to get started. They agreed to help get my name out there.

I’m curious what about it you were not happy with. What would you change if you were to do it again or a similar sign?

The sign is in 6 pieces; it’s the first time I’ve tried to do something like that. I think an improvement would be to properly join the pieces, to get to “as close to seamless” as possible. The vertical came out fairly good, but there’s a little bit of a gap in the horizontal fit.

On the other hand, this was for a horse barn, and the flaws really just come across as “Rustic”, so it’s okay for this project. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a 1000mm, but this sign is 5 feet across. :slight_smile:
Thankfully, I can do it all at once with my current project, since it’s 30 inches wide/20 inches tall.

1 Like

Pretty cool, so you essentially made 6 separate cuts? I’m curious how you got them all to line up

The complete sign design (most of it, anyway) was in an image file. I used a function in Gimp called “guillotine” to get the individual slices that I needed, and imported each one into Illustrator, where I generated vectors. (SVG files) I just took care to scale everything consistently, as I worked on things in the software, and in Easel, and it all lined up. I’m paranoid, of course, so I’d wind up doing a bunch of checks before actually cutting each board, lol.

do some search for Joinery for woodworking. They have techniques for doing joins that are virtually seamless.
I do not have enough experience at it to guide you and there are plenty of Youtube tuts.

Good advice, yeah, it’s an area where I need to increase my knowledge. Thank goodness for Youtube!

was this planed and joined with biscuit?

No, as stated, that’s something that I need to increase my knowledge about. There are flats screwed in from the back to even up the boards to each other.

Kreg tool is awesome and easy to use for joining boards.
https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-R3-Pocket-Hole-System/dp/B000J43A7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475453129&sr=8-1&keywords=kreg%2Bmaster%2Bjig&th=1