Removing Mill Marks

I saw a recent Instagram post fro Bao Loi that talked about removing mill marks from material using offsetting. The problem is he only had solutions for Fusion and Vectric users. Does anyone have any tips for Easel users? His suggestion was to leave 0.015" of material outside using a “Material to Leave” feature on these programs. Then set up a second contour path to the actual dimensions that you want and do it at full depth so you wouldn’t see the step down marks.

Does anyone know how this same result could be achieved on Easel? Would using the Offsetter app work? I haven’t invested too much time into this yet but thought maybe someone had gone down the same path. It sure would save a lot of time sanding letter and name cutouts.

2 Likes

Trent this might help

Oops (569) How To TRAM Your CNC Router Using Basic Tools, CNC Router Tramming Tutorial Video - YouTube

3 Likes

Must be missing something???

3 Likes

Run a clean up pass at depth and make the step over less than the default. This is the original setting for the final pass of a carve where the overall depth is .12:
What you want to do for the clean up pass is change the depth per pass in the manual settings to .12 so it will make only one pass at the total depth. Then go to machine and general setting and set the step over less than the default setting:

This will go over the lines you see but you have to make sure you are using the probe when you are setting the bit height. This way you get a consistent end mill height at the start of each carve.

2 Likes

This would solve mill marks on the face of wood though correct? I am thinking more of on the edges.

1 Like

This would solve mill marks for pockets and leveling a surface. If you are having issues with the edges you can always choose a raster finishing pass instead of an offset or go an1/8 of an inch wider than your material.

1 Like

Yes, go .015" over when cutting out, then set bit to full depth and cut.
Make sure you have plenty tabs to hold the material.
Russell

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.