[Resolved] EASEL NOT CONNECTING ? I'm a damsel in distress , who's tearing her hair out!

Hi Phil, Ive downloaded the easel 2.2 . How do you set the baud rate please ?

1 Like

If you are still having troubles, you can give Inventables a call and they should be able to help you out as well!

This comment applies to using the serial monitor in the Arduino IDE. It doesnā€™t affect the use of Easel.

OOOOOOH GUYS ! Do you want the good news or the bad news ??? lol . OK , weā€™ll start with the good news . Ive uninstalled Easel 2.5 , also tried 2.6 by the way too. and Iā€™ve installed 2.2 from a link on the forum. This is now working !!! Must have been the Easel programme all along and I now have the COM PORT details showing as Rusty said. So anyone with the same issues should try this first . I didnt touch the Arduino settings at all and now Iā€™m as far as measuring the wood and moving the spindle to the homing position of the wood Iā€™m going to do the test carve on. Now for the bad news ā€¦ I have a dewalt 26200 spindle attached and it has its own led light . When it says turn the spindle on only the light turns on and not the spindle motor . Now the question is , do I click carve and hope the spindle motor starts on moving or maybe thats another question for the forum guys ( and gals ) lol. Well at least Iā€™m heading the right direction so thank you to everyone for your suggestions . Look out for the virtual hugs and kisses flying across the airways as we speak . Although you might have to wait a while as its a long way from the UK LOL . Many Many thanks again , I now just have to find someone who also has this model Dewalt lol .

1 Like

Good to hear! If you just have the router plugged into and outlet you would click ā€œraise bitā€ once itā€™s raised turn on the router by the switch on the router itself then click ā€œspindle is onā€ and then carve.

The router works fine when fitted with a normal plug. Light and router motor . As for the wiring we were lead to believe that the DW611 and the DW26200 are the same as we cant get the 611 in the UK. Therefore it was wired according to the instructions on the Inventables Installation Page . We havent bought anything else to add to it as it didnt say it required anything . Sounds like the quickest way would be to do what Rusty has suggested and just put it back on a plug . ā€¦lol .

Such an easy solution Rusty , so by the sounds of the voltage of the machine is not sufficient to run this particular spindle . You would have thought that this would have been mentioned somewhere in the details where we purchased it from in the UK . They are the sole distributors of the Xcarve here and it was the only spindle available in the set up , although we did purchase it elsewhere as we found it cheaper . Iā€™m off now to find a plug.

Whatever its called , spindle or router , it is the only one available to purchase with the XCarve in the UK lol. So Iā€™ll be sending the distributors a message tomorrow to advise them that they should inform buyers that it cannot be powered by the XCarve automatically . And dont worry I dont offend easily lol .

Thatā€™s how I run my Makita until I get a relay set up.

I might have to review the instructions, but I donā€™t recall it saying to remove the plug from your router and install it directly to your motion controller. When it talks about the spindle in the instructions it is referring to the stock 24vdc spindle as @PhilJohnson mentioned.

Re the stock spindle , this is not available in the UK .

Thatā€™s fine, Iā€™m assuming you used the instructions that are on the site though, correct?

Hi June. The reason I asked about your Arduino is that I had a very similar issue. The problem for me was the driver.

My Uno had a micro USB port on it (the sort used on a lot of phones), which left me using a driver not recognized by Easel. Going back to .2.2 gave me the option to manually select the port, and that got it back working. I was told that particular version will soon be unsupported.

RE: Baud rateā€¦that is set in the GRBL firmware on the board. There is nothing you should need to adjust with that. Setting it in the Arduino software simply tells the software what speed the board is communicating at. It does not make changes to the board itself.

Hi BradT ,maybe they should either rethink the unsupported issue or do something about the newer versions not working on what appears to be quite a few systems . Iā€™m not sure what I would have done had this not worked lol . Now Iā€™m looking forward to doing some test carves .

Yes , although the build was hubbyā€™s domain lol .

Iā€™m now off fhe night and will recommence in the morning when hopefully Iā€™ll have a test piece well underway ! :thumbsup:

I always do some trick. I plug in x-carve to computer, enable power, restart computer. After restart i run UGS first, open connection, close connection, then run easel. ALWAYS work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been watching this thread with an amazed expression on my face all day.

And a sock is just a sock.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what some of you are meaning by some of your comments on my thread but if you are trying to suggest that I am in fact a man pretending to be a woman I can assure you that you are very much mistaken . And if someone could explain the meaning of puppeteering I would be very interested to hear it.

The waffle rabbit is my default answer when I have no idea what the correct answer should be.

2 Likes