[RESOLVED] Job failure from apparent static discharge

**** Off topic ****

This is aluminum powder and plastic binder.

1 Like

Did you just start using the externally powered usb?

Glad you resolved the issue!! Great to know. I will proactively do the same for the hose I run to my machine.

Way back in the day i had to rewire my machine with shielded wire because of electro-interference issues from those crappy original spindles. I wonder if inventables is using the same unshielded stepper motor wire? The static electricity from your dust hose may be interferring with the signal to the steppers. I didnt catch where you say exactly what it was doing but on my machine it caused the motors to go haywire and take on minds of their own.

I cut almost exclusively in foam and was getting failure after failure on the machine closest to the dust collector. I solved the issue by putting a humidifier by that machine and raising the humidity level of the room. When it was cold out, I had the vapor actually going over the wires connecting the controller (pi controller with a protoneer hat) with the cnc. Solved the problem. I will be adding the grounding wires though for next winter’s dry air.

hi im sorry i couldn’t read all of the answers and comments above but i read some
and i also had these stops in the middle of job
it is now working without any problem
but i never did any changes or added anything to ground a “static” charge of any kind
but i did change the way of works
im not using easel anymore
with easel i had stops once in a while
i use aspire and these problems never happened again
i don’t have any electrical protection of any kind

Does Aspire send the g code to the X Carve???

Yes.

My machine wouldn’t go haywire, it would just stop completely. I would get a static shock from the frame, and then as soon as the CNC finished the current command it would stop and lose its connection.

Could it be the powered USB hub that resolved your connection issue?

I was never sure that it was solely a connection issue, but static seemed most likely. If I wasn’t using this at work where my time is limited I would have liked to try one method at a time to see what worked, but for $5 I’m content with just throwing it in and accepting my machine in its current form.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.
I have the same issue with exception my dis-connection happens either when the IOT is activated or de-activated. Carves would finish IF they started but when connection was lost I had to reboot the controller and run homing again to continue.
I have tried grounding DC hose with no resolve. I never have noticed static but accepted it was likely there.
I may have to try a powered USB hub as my next option.

If possible, consider having only your CNC and computer on the same electrical breaker. The vacuum and router draw a lot of power which can disrupt the CNC connection. If that’s not possible, then a UPS will make sure the power going to your CNC and computer is steady. They go for as low as $40 on Amazon.

Also, if you’ve installed grounding wires make sure they DO NOT make contact with the x-controller. It is already grounded through the plug and shouldn’t be exposed to more discharges. I noticed that when I included the x-controller in my grounding loop that my job failures happened much more frequently

I have DC (shop vac) on separate breaker.

I have been having the same issue for the past week after I installed new PVC Vacuum System. Been following this thread closely.
My Symptoms:

• All Motion Stopped
  • IOT Relay turns off spindle
  • UGS still running - Waiting for “OK” on last sent command
  • Can not get motion out of the x-controller until power cycle performed.
    (Would classify it similar to someone hitting the E-Stop and everything shut down)

I had only Bare Copper Wire running thru the PVC and flex hose that connects to dust boot. Grounded to electrical earth ground. I had the vacuum hose strapped so it doesn’t touch the Dewalt spindle.

What really seemed to fix my issue so far, after some testing, I added a ground wire to one of the mounting screws on the CNC4Newbie Z-Slider Stepper Motor. Connected this wire back to my PVC Vacuum Ground circuit.

Is there electrical science behind this?? Maybe this will help someone. Can add pictures if needed.

First off, I’m glad your issue seems resolved!

Second, I’ve noticed that grounding one part of the frame does not carry that circuit to another. Both carriages are insulated by the plastic wheels they slide on, but also the anodized coating. I Had to run a wire to every major piece of the frame and scrape away some of the coating in order to get adequate grounding.

That being said, one of my grounding wires is on the mounting screw for the z-axis stepper motor (seen in the picture above) so it probably played a roll for me as well.